Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbraunston
Reel Rookie

Roku error HDCP 2.2 - Stop trying to figure it out - I just got the real answer from Roku Support

I finally got the answer from Roku support and they said they have addressed the issue. They have replaced the chip in the device. As of today, July 22, 2024, the fix appears only on Roku’s website. There’s a new model, “Roku Ultra, model 4802R.” I don’t know how long it has been available.

There is a copy protection chip that is imbedded in the Roku that supports HDCP 2.2. The chip cannot be updated or upgraded. This chip makes the device compliant so people can't make ultra-high digital copies, "UHD." Some Ultra model numbers that end with a X such as 4800X and 4802X, have issues with error messages when attempting to play 4K UHD movies. Roku says they recognized the problem and have come out with model 4802R. I’m told by Roku support the new model resolves the issue and is currently available on their website for $99.99. The same as Amazon. They offered me a 30% discount coupon to replace my device. I’m waiting for the coupon.

I had the error message on models 4800X and 4802X. Troubleshooting I replaced my Roku Ultra, all of my HDMI 2.2 compliant cables with certified 2.2 and 2.3 fiber optic. None of this resolved the issue.

I discovered if I restart the Roku it works perfect and I can play 4K UHD. When not in use, the device falls asleep and errors again when it wakes-up. Try restarting your Roku by unplugging or select restart in the Settings menu. settings/system/power/system restart. If your Roku is under warranty, I would think you can send it to Roku for a model 4802R replacement.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku error HDCP 2.2 - Stop trying to figure it out - I just got the real answer from Roku Sup

I think you got some incorrect information.  The suffix after the 4 digit model number is either R for retail, RW for retail/Walmart, or X.  I'm fairly certain it doesn't indicate anything about the hardware itself.  I also don't think the 4802 is any different than the 4800, but I don't have both to compare.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku error HDCP 2.2 - Stop trying to figure it out - I just got the real answer from Roku Sup

I agree on R/RW/X.  I believe the difference between the 4800 and 4802 is that the latter comes with the rechargeable remote.  The players themselves are said to be the same.

But I suppose it’s possible that a manufacturer sometimes puts a new rev of a chip in a product without changing the product number. 

I was reading on a Tesla forum that two copies of the same model, in the same year can have entirely different suspensions, so I’m sure that one 4802 could have a version 1.13 of a chip, and another could have 1.15.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.