Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wyldchyld
Reel Rookie

Roku devices are freezing

I am having problems with 2 expresses and 1 ultra. 

After the latest software update, the devices freeze and need to be restarted while streaming or using the roku media player. 

I am hoping this next software update comes soon and fixes this issue or its time to find something else other than Roku.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Latest update broke the express

@wyldchyld

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue you are experiencing, can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
wyldchyld
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku devices are freezing

Hi Danny,

With the latest update, there seems to be a glitch clearing the cache.

Whether I am using it to stream netflix or amazon prime or if I am just using the media player to stream from my hard drive, the rokus will just freeze.

The menu slows down as it takes time for each page and icons to load.

Sometimes this happens after 15 minutes and other times it happens after an hour.

By restarting the rokus, the menu screens are quicker again, and I can continue watching the streams with no issues.

I know it is not an issue with my internet as there is no signs of buffering problems, and it works great for awhile after a hard restart.

I can provide you with the tracker id number at a later date if this will help along with the other 2 ids and models..

Roku express:

Model 3930OCA

Serial XOO40085PDW0

Software - 11.5.0 build 4235-AE

ID - S0143265PDWO

I just thought since my original rokus were a few years old, they had just run their course and needed to be replaced but even the brand new ones we just purchase are having the exact same issues.

Thank you very much for your help and will be awaiting your reply.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@wyldchyld

Thanks for the follow up.

How are you powering the Roku device and can you please provide the tracker ID when the issues occur?

Once we have more detailed information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
wyldchyld
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny,

Thanks for working with me.

I had it freeze on me this evening.

Issue ID WO-486-811

I originally had the roku plugged into an outlet as I understand they worked better and were designed to be on all the time.

Since it started acting up, I now have it powered by the usb port in the tv.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@wyldchyld

Thanks for the follow up post and providing us with your device information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos