Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChefSkye

Roku constantly losing connection. Remote control freezing.

my Roku is constantly losing connection in spite of my Internet modem still being connected. I’m constantly having to reboot by unplugging my Roku stick and then plugging back in. My remote control frequently freezes also. I’ll be watching a show for a period of time and then suddenly the remote control won’t work. So I’ll have to reboot again to get it to start. Very frustrating. This is the remote that has the voice command on it. I have a Roku upstairs but it doesn’t have that and there is no problem. I know the Internet is not my problem because I switched to Amazon fire stick for a while until that remote control went out. Up until then it worked perfectly. I went back to Roku and the problem persists.

11 REPLIES 11
violet2

Re: Roku constantly losing connection. Remote control freezing.

I have the same problem.  My device was working fine for 6 months then started to do the same thing and now it is not connecting at all.  I have done everything suggested.  No one to walk to from customer support.  That sucks.  

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @ChefSkye @violet2

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Moreover, could you tell us who your internet service provider is? If it's Comcast or ATT, we would recommend changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Keep us updated!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MissMyBike
Channel Surfer

I have had the same problem which now seems to have gotten worse. The Roku Remote (voice activated) commands are delayed by about a minute before the Roku streaming device (thumb drive) responds. It is so odd that at the same time, my iPhone Roku remote app works fine. I have changed the batteries, software is updated, paired & paired again, did a factory reset of the streaming device, removed all items that may have blocked the line of sight, rebooted both the remote & streaming device, made sure the Internet service is good, prayed, cussed, prayed again, & nothing has helped. Any FRESH ideas would be greatly apprecaited.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @MissMyBike

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be viewed by navigating to Settings > System > About. In addition, this can be found on the back of the stick itself. We'll be able to further assist you from there.

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Rodberry

I have the same issue.  Roku drops connection after a few minutes and now it won't connect at all.  The remote freezes everytime.  I restart it and it repeats.  Now the Roku loses power repeatedly and says low power... With the Roku power cord.  This is my third Roku stick to do this. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Rodberry

Welcome to Roku Community. 

We're more than happy to help. To clarify, have you also tried to restart your router along with your Roku Streaming Stick and see if it helps? Keep the Roku device connected to a wall power outlet to get sufficient power. For troubleshooting, you may try to re-pair the Roku remote to the device

Still no luck? Keep us posted together with the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist you further. If you are unable to access the Setting menu, you can get its serial number printed on the bottom or back of the device.

Please keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Jcharney

Re: Roku constantly losing connection.

I don’t have a problem with my remote. But the Roku Express repeatedly loses contact with my Wifi and I have to Reboot. It seems to happen the first time I use it each evening.  Only rarely does it disconnect from Wifi once I am watching, though that happens too.   Almost every day, when I first turn on the TV, the Roku can’t find my Wifi….but after a Restart, it does.  

Each time it indicates the Wifi signal is strong but then when “testing” put a Red X next to Wifi and suggests a reboot.  

At that moment each time, both my internet connection and Wifi signal are excellent for all my other devices.

The problem is clearly with the Roku.  Please advise.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku constantly losing connection.

Hi @Jcharney,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing an issue with connecting the Roku Express to your home network. We'd be more than happy to take a closer look to see how we can help.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot Network issues: How to connect your Roku streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet | Official Roku Su...

Furthermore, if the affected device is a Roku Express, please note that both devices are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router broadcasts a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos

Roku constantly losing connection.

I am very frequently having this problem - 8th reboot tonight because the remote just stops responding, or the wifi just won’t connect. Super frustrating - oh look, just got wifi to connect and the remote isn’t responding again. Literally while I wrote this message.

0 Kudos