Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwatkins04
Binge Watcher

Roku connection to AV receiver

I have a Roku Ultra 4660X connected via HDMI to a Yamaha TSR-7850 AVR.
Prior to firmware version 10.5, after not being accessed overnight, when I select "watch roku", the receiver does not recognize the Roku is connected until I reboot it, either by blind remote commands to the Roku or power down the Roku.
Once I get the connection established, it will play all day, even if I switch the receiver to another input source, then switch back to Roku.
When 10.5 was installed, everything worked well.
Since the 11.0 firmware update, the issue has returned. Can someone offer a solution to the issue?

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Roku connection to AV receiver

Your Roku by default goes to sleep after 4 hours of non activity. It was doing that with 10.5. It’s called bandwidth saver. You didn’t have to unplug. Simply press the home button on the remote. So go to settings/ network and disable bandwidth saver. Also look under the power settings if there is any. Your receiver also might have some sort of power saving. Plug your Roku straight into the TV and see what happens

0 Kudos
jwatkins04
Binge Watcher

Thank you for your response. I have disabled bandwidth saver, tried pressing the home button with no change in behavior.

Again, this only started after the recent 11.0 software upgrade.

My current software version is 11.0.0 - Build 4168-46

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

@jwatkins04  What happens when you plug your Roku into your tv and not the receiver?

0 Kudos
jwatkins04
Binge Watcher

Thank you for the reply. I guess I fail to understand when my Roku was on version 10.5 and worked well, how does connecting to my TV make a difference?

I have tried sending it to home prior to turning any other device on. as well as other suggestions others have given, but It is still not detected until I reboot the Roku.

I am reluctant to modify a hardware configuration that was previously working to resolve what a firmware upgrade appears to have broken.

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

If your asking for advice then try it. It’s called troubleshooting. If your Roku works when plugged directly into the TV then it will tell you that something changed with your receiver and Roku 

0 Kudos
jwatkins04
Binge Watcher

You're correct, Something has changed.

I thought I mentioned it previously, but the only change has been the firmware upgrade to the Roku. I'm trying to determine if any others have seen a similar issue.

As a Quality Control Technician, I am fully aware of troubleshooting techniques. I use it daily to advise my assemblers how to improve their product.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@jwatkins04

Thanks for the follow up.

Can you please provide us with the make and model of your AVR as well as a video that illustrates the issue you are experiencing so we can better understand what are you seeing?

Once we have that information, we will be able to pass the information along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jwatkins04
Binge Watcher

Thank you Danny.,

The AVR is a Yamaha TSR-7850. I'm not certain how to get a video to you, but I will describe, as best I can, the issue.

After sitting overnight, I use my Harmony remote (Harmony One) and select the "Watch Roku" activity. The AVR powers on and starts attempting to obtain a signal. Sometimes, not all the time, the TV screen will flash and I will see a Roku screen for a split second. My AVR will then display "No signal". Rinse and repeat. I have attempted disabling bandwidth save, pressing the "Home" key on the Roku prior to powering on the AVR, all to no effect.

This pattern continues until I reset the Roku. Then it works flawlessly. I can change inputs to my TV or Blue Ray player, then change back the the Roku and all is well....until tomorrow.

I have a Roku Ultra, model 4660X. Software 11.0.0 build 4168. Sorry, it is just updating to build 4173.

I will contact you tomorrow to see if the build update has any effect, positively or negatively.

Prior to the version 11 update I was not experiencing this issue.

0 Kudos
jwatkins04
Binge Watcher

Danny,

I wanted to get back with you to tell you the build upgrade I mentioned yesterday had not impact on the issue. It still exists.

Thanks

0 Kudos