Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrissyMarie
Binge Watcher

Roku channel stuck on commercials

It’s only happening on the Roku channel (Tubi etc it doesn’t get stuck on commercials) on Roku channel the content movie/tv show plays fine then commercials start and after the commercials end it will play audio for the show/movie but the picture stays stuck on commercial after 3-5min it goes back to the main roku channel or the info for that show. It has happen d when I’ve tried playing different content on roku channel so I can’t really anymore unless I wanna keep restarting the show. I’ve tried updating it shows my roku is up to date. I’ve tried restarting it still won’t fix the problem. Like I said no other app does this except the roku channel, they must have a bug or need to do an update to fix it.

8 REPLIES 8
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku channel stuck on commercials

Try the following steps:

1. Remove the Roku Channel app from the device. Press * and then press “Delete channel.”  
2. Restart your Roku device.  Go to Settings > System > Power (if not applicable, skip to the next step) > System restart.  
3. Once the device is restarted, reinstall the Roku Channel app.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
ChrissyMarie
Binge Watcher

Thank you I tried it. It worked for about… 30min then started doing it again. I think it’s on Roku’s end they definitely need to run an update to fix this bug.

Johntaber

I agree. I am experiencing the same issue. 

jerrytex
Channel Surfer

I too am experiencing the same problem. What I typically see is that the video stops but the sound continues. It typically happens as one commercial transitions to the next commercial. My stop-gap solution is to let the commercial audio complete then transition to the show. I then click pause. Usually I have to rewind one click, the click play. After a short transition (the rotating circle), the show usually starts. Sometimes I have to rewind another click or go forward another click.

Shauna5369

Mine will kick me out of the show when a commercial plays and either goes back to the beginning of the show or the main show screen. I have to constantly restart shows. Only on Roku app and Im watching on roku TV

Nonie0301
Reel Rookie

Same here. It is frustrating to even watch commercials, which you can't mute, because you miss the program returning. 

kruzman

Having the exact same issue, only on Roku channel.  have to rewind a second then play to get rid of the commercial visual.  audio is normal, you can hear the show, just screen freeze on last commercial visual.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator