Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
19alex67

Roku and App UIs display but only black screen for content

I have tried both a Roku Ultra LT and an Express 4K+ with a Panasonic Plasma Screen TV.  Both the Roku UI and various apps (Amazon Prime, Netflix, YourubeTV) interfaces display correctly but once content is selected I get a black screen. I used both auto detect and selecting lesser resolutions for the display type with no improvement. We have a very solid internet connect. I have also tried 3 different HDMI cables.

Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
80 REPLIES 80
mrliu
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku and App UIs display but only black screen for content

My device express 4k+ upgraded to 10.5 also has the same problem. This problem can only be solved by restoring the factory. After restoring the factory, the problem still occurs after restarting the device.

Each restart must automatically restart twice to enter the system

ROKU OS 10.5

Model: 3941X - Roku Express 4K+

Serial number: X01600C4LMKC

Software Version: 10.5.0 build 4187 CR

Device ID S07P5154LMKC

Smokewagon

I am having the same issue with my Roku and Sony TV. The menu and app UIs display correctly, but sound and video content do not work. The progress bar show that the content is playing, and the preview thumbnail shows up when skipping ahead. 

Sony Bravia 1080p TV w/HDMI 1.4

Roku Express 4K+

Model 3941X

Software V. 10.5.0 build 4187-CR

I have tried adjusting the output settings from 1080p to 720p and back again, with no change. 

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Smokewagon

I solved the issue by factory resetting and going through the setup process again. I just received the Roku today, so strange that the first setup didn't work. Oh well. 

Jut_72

No video from any channel

Got a new roku express 4k. Set everything up and all looks good until I try to play a video then all I get is blank screen and no sound. I have progress bar and can see the the picture as I move across it but play from anywhere and nothing. Have tried multiple channels and same result. Tried 720, 1080 and 4k. No difference. 

0 Kudos
Arod3367

Re: No video from any channel

I am having the same issue. Bought 2 new devices. 1 worked fine on Samsung TV. The other will not play any channe on prime or direct stream. Sony tv.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No video from any channel

@Arod3367, have you tried swapping devices (keeping all cables in place) to see if the problem stays with the device or the TV?

@Jut_72, have you tried different HDMI inputs and/or different HDMI cables?  Can you try another TV?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Joe80

Issues playing movies movie starts count but no sound or picture.

Just purchased a brand new Roku Express 4K I’m in device streaming device. Signed in and installed Disney+ and HBO max apps. Getting into the apps and selecting a movie is fine, however once the movie starts to load and starts playing, but I get no sound, and no picture.. I’m able to scroll forward m, and backward like it’s playing.. all the title screens work for both apps, and I have no problem getting back to the home screen, and in an out of the apps, but once I play something it doesn’t work movie loads then black.. 

0 Kudos
mrliu
Reel Rookie

I tested it a few times yesterday, and I suspect it has something to do with the theme. It seems to be fine to use the default theme.
However, it still appears that it needs to be restarted several times after the machine is turned on before it can be used normally.

0 Kudos
Zel223
Reel Rookie

Black screen on new device

I bought a brand new Roku Express after a previous one stopped working and I thought it was my device. It connected and goes through all steps fine but when I try to play anything (hbo Max, Disney+, etc) the movie / show will not play. It stays black with no sound. If I rewind or fwd I can see the pictures but it won’t actually play any content. Any advice? Thank you !!!

0 Kudos