Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UKMark
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra not seeing my network hard drive content fully

Hi All...

New to this, my Roku Ultra (just arrived from amazon US), I'm UK based. I wished to update my current media player...the old western digital which has been and is faultless. Heard great things about the Roku and thought it may be worthwhile using it on the new 4k screen. Plugged it in, set it up, and out of the 400+ films I've got stored on my hard wired networked storage, it only sees 5. Nearly all are the same format, MKV or MP4, MOV, just doesn't show anything.....any clues or fixes as to what the issue could be? Thought this was going to be simple plug and play like the WD....any help appreciated. Many thanks, Mark.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra not seeing my network hard drive content fully

@UKMark 

If I add or remove content to a hard drive connected directly to my Ultra 4660 USB port, I have to sometimes Back out of the Roku Media Player (RMP) using the Back button all the way to the first RMP screen.  Then go back in to the folders one by one to Refresh/Repopulate.

Other times, I have to back out and then perform a manual System Restart. (Settings/System/System Restart or Settings/System/Power/System Restart).

If I am using a DLNA, rather than directly plugged in the Ultra USB, I normally have to verify that the "Title" in any metadata is either left blank or matches the filename exactly for it to show up in the RMP.  Otherwise, RMP will show only a portion of the available content on my drive.

Am assuming you have tried restarting both the Roku device and your harddrive/NAS/USB storage and that you are using external power for the new hard drive if required?

https://support.roku.com/article/23016036

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908

------

I typically just use standard WD SATA harddrives with USB adapters or use USB drives and run them through either the Ultra or my router's DLNA server though.  There are others here with more advanced media NAS setups that can offer you better troubleshooting.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

UKMark
Reel Rookie

Hi, many thanks for your response. I've not tried anything than screen setting in advance settings....The two NAS hard drives I have were installed 9 years ago and work perfectly with the 7 WD media players have have within the house, seriously expected a bit of plug and play from what I'd read, hence the purchase.

Will try your solutions tomorrow time permitting, just seems odd it only reads a handful (if that) movies from the hundreds we have, near on 800 in total across both drives. The gas driver are run through a patch panel and cabled to each room, never had an issue, but will try another room / tv / cable etc to see if the problem lies there. Would it have anything to do with file size issues? i try and maintain file sizes of around 3-5gb each.....

many thanks, Mark.

0 Kudos
ClearView
Reel Rookie

I would like to suggest that Roku replace the "Roku Media Player" by "VLC" media player. The former has insufficient codecs while the latter can play all content.

I have both an Android TV and a Roku TV and I found the VLC player on Android to be far superior to what Roku offers.

remaker
Roku Guru

Did the WD use raw drive access or a DLNA server?

Make sure your NAS is running a DLNA server and has a current index of the drive contents.

The Roku Media Player supports fewer codecs than some other players. MKV is just a container type. A player needs to license the video and audio codecs from the licensor.

More clues here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754908

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@ClearView, that will never happen.  Roku really doesn't care whether or not you can play your own content.  That doesn't make them money.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
remaker
Roku Guru

VLC is legally problematic. Most companies will not ship VLC code for fear of assuming liability for the infringements.

https://www.videolan.org/legal.html

0 Kudos