Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mick7
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra must be unplugged to turn on AND daily HDCP Error Detected

Jump to solution

I have a New Samsung flat-screen Tv and a new Roku Ultra device. I am experiencing this HDCP error every few days. Question..... Is ROKU working to solve this issue for us users? Thanks 

0 Kudos
RJMB-2

Roku ultra v 11 update - now I get Error 202

Jump to solution

The ultra updates by itself to v11 and now every start up in the morning results with A 202 error.

unplug and Re plug HDMI cable and power off power on tv and Roku.  Rinse and repeat every morning and or after the tv/Roku is turn off then turned on after ~ 6 hour .
Replaced cable and used different HDMI port on TV.

Same result now for 1 week ( since update.

is it time to replace this Roku with the android/Google tv dongle that works perfect on my other Sony.

This Roku Ultra is 9 months old and obviously can’t tolerate the v 11 update and I can’t go back to previous OS.
First ABC issue then YouTube TV issue - now OS error 202.

three strikes ……..

0 Kudos
Peacemaster
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku ultra v 11 update - now I get Error 202

Jump to solution

I got an ultra and It only works after I unplug it and replug it back in. Tv goes on but nothing happens until I reboot the roku. Remote won’t wake it. Roku is powered by wall socket not by usb. Everything seems to work fine once I unplug/replug, but when I try it again the next day, it’s dead again. It’s an older tv and I see no settings regarding disabling hdmi ports. I’ve tried switching the hdmi input on the tv and it has had no effect on waking up the roku, only unplugging works. Is it bad for the roku to yank the plug every day, Thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
Jim_B3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Follow-up to my post on 3-19-22:

As stated, prior to disabling the power saver, I needed to plug/unplug/power cycle almost every time I used the TV. In the 8 months since, I've never had to go through this procedure once. The Roku has worked every time I've turned on the TV.

0 Kudos
Peacemaster
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Jim,

After reading this full thread, I tried disabling the power save feature several days ago and it had no effect.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Peacemaster

" I got an ultra and It only works after I unplug it and replug it back in. Tv goes on but nothing happens until I reboot the roku. Remote won’t wake it."

After reading this, was wondering if you are under the assumption that the Power button on the Roku remote is supposed to wake the device. (Especially the TV going on part).

The Power button is simply a TV control (turns TV on and off, has no effect on the Roku device).

Have you tried using the Home button on your Roku remote to wake device? Generally, need to press Home in order to wake device, and when finished streaming, make sure you press Home again to return to Home Screen in order to stop streaming/data usage.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Peacemaster
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Gunnar,

Yes, I'm aware that the remote's power button just powers on the TV. I've tried the home button and pretty much all the others in an attempt to wake the roku itself, but only the power cable seems to jog it back to life. I also always return to the Home screen after usage. I've used a roku stick for years without issue; this came about as I've upgraded to the Ultra.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Peacemaster

Thanks for verifying. I had to ask regarding the Power button since there is some confusion as to its purpose by some.

-----

Other things I would try/consider.

1. Try toggling between enabling and disabling of Roku's 1-touch play CEC feature. First, enable HDMI CEC on your TV, and then go into Roku Settings/System/Control other Devices/1-touch play [checkmark to Enable].

The above should allow any button press on the Roku Remote (other than power and volume/mute keys) to wake the device and automatically switch to the HDMI port that the Roku is using.

2. Eliminate a bad remote control. If you still have the Roku Remote from your Streaming Stick, try pairing that to the Ultra and see if you have any difference. Alternatively, try using the Roku Remote app available in Play/Apple stores. Also, try new batteries in Roku Remote or make sure the Pro Remote (if applicable) is fully charged.

Wondering if perhaps the Roku remote is not coming out of sleep mode during RF button presses so the Ultra is not being sent any signals for it to respond to.

3. Try performing another manual System Update followed by System Restart. Both of these are located under Settings/System menu. Settings/System/Software Update and then Settings/System/Power/System Restart for newer Ultras.

Sometimes something goes wrong during the automatic update and an additional manual system update will help.

4. Try placing the Roku Ultra on your 2.4ghz network band and see if you have better results. If so, I would check that the 5ghz is not using DFS channels, or manually assign a wireless channel on the 5ghz between 36-48, or 149-161.

It could be that the network connection is being lost between the remote and the device and the reboot is re-establishing this connection.

5. Factory Reset the Ultra.

Sometimes the update or the system operations just get corrupted and a new setup will clear corrupted settings. During setup, just make sure to manually select settings (display, audio, etc). Do not let the Roku "Auto-Detect" anything.

------

I think I would be leaning toward either a remote or network issue initially. If none of the above steps work to resolve issue, then I think either Roku support needs to look more closely at your particular issue or you should consider a warranty replacement if still applicable as none of the usual culprits seem to be the cause for your issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Peacemaster
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks Gunnar! I don't think I have to ability to separate out 2.4 from 5 anymore, but I'll try as many of these suggestions as possible...

0 Kudos
mick7
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Dear Folks, I have completely Solved my error issue with Roku. I got a Amazon Fire Stick! I plugged it it powered it up . No Problems. I had Simply had Enough of plugging, unplugging, powering off and disconnecting of my TV and devices. The people from Roku don't want to hear this. But you know.... Done. Thanks.

0 Kudos