Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CLHFL
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra device muting and unmuting

Jump to solution

I just bought a Roku Ultra last week and it keeps muting the sound every 2 hours, no matter if it's on Hulu, Netflix, Prime, or the Roku channel.  I've tried factory resetting BOTH the TV and the Roku box, as well as reinstalling the Roku.  I paired the remote a second time. I took the batteries out and it continues to mute, so I don't think it's the remote.  I have a 2016 Samsung 4K Ultra HD TV.  I have checked the TV settings and see nothing that might be causing this.  I also have a Zvox SB500 sound bar.  There is Nothing in the settings about auto-shut off, etc.  I love this new Roku but having to constantly unmute the sound is getting old really quick.  Any experience or input would appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CLHFL
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra device muting and unmuting

Jump to solution

Problem fixed!  I found a manual on-line for my Zvox sound bar that was not the same manual which came with my unit. There are indeed settings on the Sound bar for auto muting if it does not detect any activity after 20 minutes. For whatever reason it is not detecting sound from the Roku.  I believe this is because the sound bar is wired to the optical audio port on my Samsung TV, not the optical audio port on my Roku ultra box. Anyway, turning off the auto muting in the sound bar settings keeps it on all the time, until I turn the TV off.  No more timed muting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@CLHFL

Thanks for the post.

For troubleshooting purposes, if you disconnect your soundbar, do you still experience the same issue? In addition, try connecting your Roku device to another TV, does the issue persist?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CLHFL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Problem fixed!  I found a manual on-line for my Zvox sound bar that was not the same manual which came with my unit. There are indeed settings on the Sound bar for auto muting if it does not detect any activity after 20 minutes. For whatever reason it is not detecting sound from the Roku.  I believe this is because the sound bar is wired to the optical audio port on my Samsung TV, not the optical audio port on my Roku ultra box. Anyway, turning off the auto muting in the sound bar settings keeps it on all the time, until I turn the TV off.  No more timed muting!

Mztrmoore

Jump to solution

What about when you don’t have a sound bar connected and the muting continues?

0 Kudos
CLHFL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Purely from my experience I suspect it's something in the TV audio settings, automatically shutting down the sound because of some time-out setting.  It took a lot of trial & error for me and I was getting ready to call Samsung.  I know this isn't much help.

0 Kudos