Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fenway1
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra device loses sound

Our Roku TV is doing the same thing we just purchased it in October 2021.   We lose the sound but not video if you put the show that you're watching on hold for a few minutes or more.   Called best buy member support and was told by the customer service rep that the same issue happens on her TV which was a different brand.  A system restart is the quickest solution.   If anyone has an update on the real fix, would love to know.   

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Fenway1
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra device loses sound

More details....

Roku model 4800x-roku ultra software version 10.5.0 build 4208-c2

We have Sonos as our speaker.   Restarting your TV is the only temporary fix that Best buy membership can provide.   They told me that they get the calls on multiple brands of TVs... But it's definitely a combination of Roku and the TV.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra device loses sound

@Fenway1

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? Does this happen on a specific channel or does it happen across all channels? Have you tried disconnecting your Sonos speaker to see if you are still seeing the issue occur?

Please keep us posted. With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Fenway1
Reel Rookie

Hello,

The issue occurs even if we disconnect our Sonos speaker.   We typically lose sound if we pause a show for a few minutes.  Once you resume the show, we lose the sound but video continues to play without any problem.   The only way to fix the issue is to do a system restart.   Then I can retry the same show and everything is fine sound and video will work fine.   We experience the issue on multiple apps...Netflix,Disney, PBS,Fubo,Hulu,HBO.

0 Kudos
BDMacl1

I've read through every post, because I have the same issue on 2 different Roku Ultras, connected directly via ethernet, so no wireless issues. I've changed HDMI cables, and moved the Rokus to other TV systems. I do Not have this issue on my Xbox or Tivo Stream 4k. Roku obviously doesn't have a clue, or care, since there is no answer beyond reseting the Roku. I'll reset it permanently and get another Tivo Stream 4k. We shouldn't have to constantly reset these things.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@BDMacl1

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to assist you. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mixerbobc
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue about losing sound. I have to keep turning it off or doing a reset to get my sound back. It happens on all channels for YouTube TV, or any other half that I’m watching. I hear all the Roku sounds and beeps but no audio from any of the apps I’m watching. It always happens when it’s in standby, or goes to the screen saver. Also I can just turn it on in the morning first thing and they’ll be no audio. I’ve done all the things, reset, changed HDMI cable. It’s direct connect to the Internet so there’s no Wi-Fi issues. Can you help me please.

.It’s direct connect to the Internet so there’s no Wi-Fi issues. Can you help me

Model 4800 X – Roku ultra

model 4800 X Dash Roku ultra

Serial number X0100090GACL

Software 11.00, build for 193 – C2

Software 11.00, build for 193 – C2

Device ID S0 to a 2170GACL

IP address 192.168.87–90

Mixerbobc
Reel Rookie

Again tonight……no sound from any app.  Only from the roku unit.  Must do system restart to get it back. May have it for 2 days or 2 hours. 

screen shot

Watc
Featured Free
Live TV
Search
Movie Store
Crore
4:20 pm
Issue report tracker
Model: 4800X - Roku Ultra
Serial number: X0100090GACL (S02A2170GACL)
Software version: 11.0.0 • build 4193-C2
Timestamp:2022-10-01T21:19:33Z
P) PBS
reevee
Please use issue ID CL-394-399 to report the current
Issue.
OK

mcbeaty

I think Danny is saying it may be time to look around for other streaming services. I know my frustration level for this unresolved problem is leading me in that direction.

0 Kudos

Same thing has been going on with me on my Roku Ultra. I finally googled out of frustration from doing system restarts multiple times a day and see I'm not the only one. This sucks because I like Roku better than FireTV. I guess I try chromecast next 😢 

If there is help out there, here is my info:

Model- 4660X- Roku Ultra

Serial- YJ00H4286362

Software- 11.0.0 build 4193-46

0 Kudos