Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dvrslave
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Ultra continually losing audio randomly

Thanks, I wish that were helpful but I don't want to replace one Ultra with another if the issue is just going to start again & that's the only model with ethernet! They need to update the firmware to correct the issue if they know what it is.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Mackey
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue, completely loosing audio (not the popping/crackling others have mentioned) and have to restart the Roku.

Has anyone found a solution?

0 Kudos
Dvrslave
Streaming Star

@RokuDanny-R thank you! I'll collect all of this info when the issue next occurs.

0 Kudos
cordell076
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R, info requested:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in
Settings > System > About)

model: 4670x roku ultra
SN: yj00fe132339
SFTWR: 11.5.0 build 4312-46
ID: kw99cf132339

• does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)

All app channels – they are all up to date.

• tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)

Trk ID: 39-521-390

• steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Just watch anything. Audio will eventually cut out without any interaction.

0 Kudos
cordell076
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R Info requested posted above.

0 Kudos
jimb15237
Reel Rookie

The problem started happening to me back when netflix switched to dolby plus. The problem NO LONGER happens for me with the following set-up:

4660X roku ultra
yj006v249651
11.5.0 4312-46

Audio Settings
audio mode: auto (dd+)
streaming audio format: dolby
digital output format: custom: dd plus, dts on

tv: vizio m60-c3 (has dolby plus)

audio system: denon avr8888 (no dolby plus) connected to tv via spdif. (but now plays 5.1 dolby plus as 2.0 stereo) netflix 5.1 icon no longer appears as availabe on any content. dd plus is a disaster unless you upgrade your tv and audio system!

0 Kudos
Mackey
Reel Rookie

I was able to solve mine with a more permanent solution. I stopped using my Roku and switched over to my TV (1 year old Samsung) for all of the streaming apps.

In the past the Roku was far superior to the apps native within a smart TV. However, I have been pleased with the performance of the apps on my TV. So far I have used (YouTube TV, Netflix, Paramount+, HBO Max, Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu). I also just purchased a new Sony TV which has Google/Android TV. Once again, I ditched the Roku in favor of the TV's built in apps and very happy so far.

0 Kudos
JFEREJOHN
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku soundbar.  Lately, the sound will become muffled as if the people have a pillow over their mouth.  Switch to another channel in Sling...still muffled,  switch to another app...still muffled.  Press the button on the soundbar...after reboot, sound back.  Please advise.  Roku updates automatically and is operating under current update.  Thanks.  Beth Ferejohn 

0 Kudos
md40022
Channel Surfer

There seem to be quite a few topics floating on the support forum regarding problems with the audio developing an "underwater" sound or getting very distorted. I've been experiencing this on my Roku Ultra quite a bit lately. The app that I mainly use is the Xfinity Streaming App and it is defintely present there. I don't use any other apps enough to say if the problem is specific to the app or not. However, as someone who has spent 20 years in tech fields, I do have some opinions here.

First off, I have tried all the obvious stuff. Swapping HDMI cables, Trying different HDMI ports on the TV, playing with audio settings, etc. etc. etc. The problem is CLEARLY tied to the Roku device as the TV has no audio issues what so ever when streaming directly from the TV apps, using a Blu Ray player, or using a cable set top box. Rebooting the Roku device does "solve" the problem, but the problem eventually returns so it's not really solving anything - it's just band-aiding it. Others have said they can tinker with the audio settings in the Roku menu to get the problem to go away. That hasn't been the case for me, but when audio settings are adjusted, the Audio Chip / Amp IC circuit within the Roku most likely quickly resets itself as it moves from one audio mode to another. That quick reset of the audio chip when toggling between audio modes is more or less very similar to a full blown reboot of the Roku device - at least from the standpoint of troubleshooting audio problems. None of these fixes are actual fixes. They are just workarounds and inconveniences for the customer. I think the clear problem is a subpar audio amp within the Roku device. It's a hardware problem. Roku won't admit to this as the problem, but given the nature of what happens when you toggle audio settings (quickly resetting the audio IC) or when you reboot the entire Roku device (also resetting the audio IC, a bit more thoroughly) - this is a hardware problem. Is the audio chip overheating? Is it not properly processing the audio format of streaming apps? Who knows - but none the less, it is a HARDWARE PROBLEM. Unfortunately, Roku won't admit to this as they'd potentially be on the hook for an actual fix at that point, but the conclusion to be drawn here is there isn't an actual "fix" to this. Just work-arounds. And I'd urge everyone to keep that in mine when it's time to replace your Roku devices. Does fire-stick have this same problem? If not, maybe that's the direction to go.

0 Kudos