Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dvrslave
Streaming Star

Roku Ultra continually losing audio randomly

I recently started having this issue as well. I lose sound while watching a channel and I can change channels and the sound doesn't come back but the UI sound is there. The only thing that corrects the issue is rebooting the unit which is really annoying (changing audio settings doesn't work, changing HDMI doesn't work) as this can happen multiple times a day. I thought the issue was my TV but I swapped this with an older Roku Premiere+ I had and haven't had any sound issues since so now I know it's the Roku, not the TV.  

38 REPLIES 38
cordell076
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra continually losing audio randomly

Have been dealing with the same issue for the last 5 months. I'm running an Ultra 4670X with build 4235 (last updated 10/26/22). Regardless what I'm watching in whichever application the audio will cut out randomly and is only restored with a system reboot – apparently, until it decided to drop again. Was hoping there was more info available on the issue, but seems we are all in the same boat.

rockdude25
Reel Rookie

same here and i'm sick of it.. tried everything, new hdmi cable, different tv inputs.. this has never happened before and all of a sudden a few weeks ago I lose audio several times a night.. IT IS RIDICULOUS.. what is the problem ROKU?? I have a 4670 ultra unit, get the fix, post a solution, what the heck

0 Kudos
rockdude25
Reel Rookie

must be the firmware.. timing wise, it sounds like the reason.. my issue has never been an issue since a few weeks ago... losing audio several times now.. can't even finish a show without a few resets.. this is GARBAGE ROKU, FIX IT

0 Kudos
Dvrslave
Streaming Star

I moved my Roku Ultra into my bedroom and put my bedroom Roku in the living room because I don't watch TV in the bedroom as often maybe an hour a night and in that one hour I lose sound at least once. At least now I'm 100% certain it's the unit and not my television. Mine is a 4670 & my issues started a few weeks ago as well. 

0 Kudos
rockdude25
Reel Rookie

wow same thought here, my next move is to switch the downstairs Roku stick with this 4670 unit.. I'm sure the results will reflect yours, thx for the info much appreciated.. GL

0 Kudos
roc-noc
Reel Rookie

Same thing happens with my new Ultra 4802x purchased from Best Buy and installed a few weeks ago.

Using it with a Bose TV Speaker sound bar plugged into HDMI ARC port 2 on my Samsung UN46D8000 TV (2011 vintage).

I just changed the Roku audio setting to Passthrough and will see if it becomes reliable.

My audio has been dropping out.  Power reboot on the Ultra brings it back.  It happens a few times a week.

Planning to test a new Apple TV system on another TV to compare.

I can still return the Roku for a full refund.  

I also bought a Roku Streambar Pro for another TV (new Samsung) and it has not had this issue.

Have just left Comcast Xfinity service.  We have 4 TVs and moving to T-Mobile Internet. 

So far not a  Roku fanboy.

0 Kudos
Dvrslave
Streaming Star

This morning the issue started on my Roku Premiere+! This issue needs to be corrected, it's clearly not just 1 model & as someone who only uses Roku for all TVs I don't want to have to reboot multiple Rokus multiple times a day!!

0 Kudos
roc-noc
Reel Rookie

I'm still experiencing audio problem on my new Roku Ultra.  I bought an AppleTV 4K 2022 128GB a few days ago to compare with the Roku.  Day and night difference in setup and quality.   

I don't have the patience for Roku with half baked products to fix their problems.  I am, returning the 2 Roku units that I bought (Ultra and Streambar Pro) while I can still get a full refund.  I picked up 3 more of the AppleTV 4K units and am installing them tomorrow.

Also returning the Comcast Xfinity gear this week as we canceled their service effective Dec 31, 2022.

0 Kudos
Bar7b

So apparently it's a known flaw in Roku Ultra hardware/firmware.

The support agent said there's no solution other than replacing the unit.

I bought mine at Costco.

Hope that helps...

0 Kudos