Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyinBG
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra continually losing audio randomly

I have a Roku Ultra from December 2018.  Recently it continually loses audio completely randomly. Everything will be fine until I switch shows within a channel, or move to a new channel or app completely. The only way to get audio back is to restart the Roku from the settings menu.  I have switched HDMI cables and also HDMI inputs on the TV, but the problem continues.  

23 REPLIES 23
MrEd
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra continually losing audio randomly

I have similar issue with sound randomly being distorted or out of sync and having to reset.

ROKU! WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOUR $100+ PLAYER?

bkreitman
Channel Surfer

Same issue.  Only a restart will restore the sound.  Ultra 2019 model

dyrelogan
Channel Surfer

Restart has done nothing for me. Everything pops, clicks and cuts out intermittently. At this point I’m ready to trash this defective device and buy an Apple TV. It’s more expensive but at least Apple knows what they’re doing. Roku hasn’t even responded to either of your complaints. What does that tell you about this defective company?

AndyinBG
Reel Rookie

@dyrelogan wrote:

Restart has done nothing for me. Everything pops, clicks and cuts out intermittently. At this point I’m ready to trash this defective device and buy an Apple TV. It’s more expensive but at least Apple knows what they’re doing. Roku hasn’t even responded to either of your complaints. What does that tell you about this defective company?

Yep, mine now goes to pops and clicks randomly as well as losing audio completely.  If I select Disney + the audio goes EVERY SINGLE TIME.  I've removed the channel, reinstalled it, logged out, logged back in everything. The audio still goes out. I also have Roku express and none of these issues occur with that.  It is an Ultra problem pure and simple

dyrelogan
Channel Surfer

I will say this. I tried everything, and I tried one other thing that people may not have tried. I removed the batteries in the remote control then waited and put them back in and set it up as a new remote. Ever since then roku didn’t give me any trouble. I watched a YouTube video then a couple episodes of a Netflix series and didn’t encounter one audio cutout, pop or click. I also moved the roku away from the WiFi router. It’s now about 4-5 feet away from the router. Don’t know if any of these things helped or fixed the issue or not, but maybe you and others could try what I tried. I wanted to share in case this is a temporary fix until roku finds the permanent one. If it happens again, I’ll do the same thing to get it working again.

CATMAN

I have the same exact problem with my ROKU Ultra Stream Stick 4k! Audio pops, clicks, video is great until a few minutes goes by, then ROKU resets by itself and Home page appears! 

I did many PORs, new batteries, new head set, cleaned connections, nothing works. Keep getting error message, "loading," "check connection," and connection is fine. great speed, ROKU has suck IT support for this problem. 

This only happens when I use the headset with the remote. Haven't experienced this problem when I listen to TV speakers, BUT I NEED A REMOTE THAT WILL WORK SO I CAN USE MY HEADSET! ROKU FIX YOU REMOTE!!!  

0 Kudos
dyrelogan
Channel Surfer

After I did what I did I am no longer having the issue. I’m sorry you are having it. Maybe it could be the model tv, bad USB port, could be a number of issues, even a bad stick. None of these things are your fault. Just poorly designed hardware on Roku’s part. My voice activation on my brand new ultra has NEVER worked. Roku rep that emailed me when I let them know about it had absolutely no fix for me except all the canned responses that were not fixes at all. Again, poor hardware and software to boot. 

0 Kudos
dyrelogan
Channel Surfer

It went back to having audio and video issues for me so I went ahead and bought a far more superior product, the Apple TV. And ever since I got it a couple days ago I’m getting no video or audio issues at all. Even have my AirPods Pro connected to my Apple TV and have had zero issues. Roku should get with some Apple techies and learn how to make AT LEAST a decent product before pushing it out and then completely forsaking its customers. Not one response from Roku in any of these threads. That’s saying a lot about their customer service... or lack thereof.

samit

I've been having the exact same issue with my Roku Ultra for a couple of months now. I assume this is caused by a buggy software update. Tried everything to resolve the issue, even a factory reset, but still losing audio randomly until I restart the device.