Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SubCool
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra, Vizio TV & Soundbar

I have a Roku Ultra with Vizio TV and Vizio Soundbar.

Frequently the sound will cut out speaker system and will not return unless Hard Reset.
Mute,Power, and individual remotes do not fix the situation.

Unplugging HDMI cords to not rectify the situation either.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra, Vizio TV & Soundbar

@SubCool

Thanks for the post.

Does this cutting out of your home audio only occur when using your Roku Ultra or does it happen when you use other device, or play audio directly from your TV? Have you tried using another HDMI cable used to connect your soundbar as well as using another HDMI port on your TV?

It's possible that there is an issue with your soundbar that you may need to contact Vizio to assist you further with.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SubCool
Channel Surfer

As long as the Roku is connected, if we use the tv apps it occurs. 
ive changed the hdmi cable to a monster cable. 
if I disconnect the roku, it doesn’t occur. 

0 Kudos
SubCool
Channel Surfer

To confirm my issue, I was watching Netflix last night through the Roku ultra. Every single time in episode has changed I had to unplug and replug in to Soundbar just to get the sound to work. 
I then disable power to the Roku ultra, and watch Netflix through the apps on the TV itself. The sound never went haywire. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@SubCool

Thanks for the follow up.

If you disconnect your Vizio soundbar and just play the Roku Ultra sound through the Roku TV, do you experience any audio issues, or does this issue only occur when connecting the soundbar?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SubCool
Channel Surfer

If the sound bar is disconnected, the issue does not occur. 

This is not a Roku TV. - 
We got the Roku Ultra for the 4K and the Ethernet adapter. 

But its been a pretty awful experience. 
My Grandfather uses it to watch Spectrum TV. I have to fix the sound multiple times a day and i do not reside there.

Is there a way to get a refund? 

0 Kudos
SubCool
Channel Surfer

What kinda of extra details are you looking for? 
I am no longer at their house to help. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@SubCool

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are not experiencing any playback issues when connecting the Roku device directly to the TV, then this is mostly likely an issue with your connection between the TV and the soundbar. Have you already tried contacting the soundbar manufacturer regarding the issue you are experiencing to see what insight they can provide?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SB23

I can verify it is not an issue with the sound bar.  I am having the same problem as OP.  I recently upgraded to the Roku Ultra from a Roku Streaming Stick because the Stick was overheating regularly and I have had nothing but trouble with Vizio soundbar compatibility.  It started with the sound mix being completely off:  music and sfx played normally but dialog was inaudible.  I did a complete reset of the sound bar which helped for the most part but now I have the same issue as OP.  Every time a new episode starts the sound cuts out completely.  I can verify that this is not a sound bar issue because it only happens when streaming through the Ultra, it does not happen with streaming through the TV apps.  Given that this seems to be a common issue, I am really regretting getting the Ultra and will likely return it.

SubCool
Channel Surfer

I have since continued to have unbarable issues with this device.

I have an ethernet cable to the router, and CONSTANTLY see buffering. The remote was lost, so my mother bought a new box.

EVER SINCE THE NEW BOX WAS INSTALLED. THE ISSUE WENT AWAY.

Due to the severely UNRELIABLE aide of tech support. And OBVIOUS BIAS. I have made a stand to EVERY customer i speak with NEVER to invest in ROKU.

Roku BARELY works with Alexa. It is EASIER to pair the TV with Alexa to make smart functions, FUNCTION.

ROKU has overly proven to be a highly un-desirable product.

You stated my HIGHLY reliable sound system was at fault. When all you had to do, was process an exchange to fix the problem.