Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barli601
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra USB connection for auxiliary audio

I have a Roku Ultra on ethernet and have connected to the USB port for auxiliary audio.  The audio from the HDMI cable to the TV works fine,  The audio for auxiliary works fine, but then just cuts out.  Unplug the power cord and re-plug and the auxiliary audio comes back on.  The audio cut out is unpredictable.  Can that be repaired or do I just need a new Roku Ultra.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra USB connection for auxiliary audio

@Barli601

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What are connecting to the USB for auxiliary audio?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Barli601
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny -

I received your email and replied to your message.  Did you not get that email

Thanks  -

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The USB port on the Roku serves only one purpose: it allows connecting a storage device (USB stick, portable hard drive) and playing media from that device (video, music or images). The USB port is not an auxiliary audio port. If you had some success playing audio out of the USB port, it's not supported and there's no expectation for it to work. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Barli601
Reel Rookie

My apologies - - we're connected via optical cable to the optical port - - not the USB.  The optical cable then connects to a wireless headset and auxiliary speakers.  The sound just cuts out from time to time and recently it cuts out more - - everyday.  Reset from settings or unpower and repower brings it back.  Is that something you can fix.

Thanks  - Bob

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Barli601 wrote:

My apologies - - we're connected via optical cable to the optical port - - not the USB. 

OK, that's a completely different configuration, and now seems logical. The problem troubleshooting this issue is that you have multiple devices in the audio stream, and any one of them could be the cause of the issue. You are splitting the optical signal to a wireless headset and the speakers. In general, if you see the red light in the optical port, the optical out is working.

So the next time this happens, pull the optical cable out of the Roku and see if the port still has the red light behind the dust cover. Might need something small to move the dust cover and look through the opening. If it's on, it's likely there's no issue with the Roku. Plug the optical back in and remove the other cable end from whatever it's connected to. See if the red light is passing through the optical cable. Again, it should be pretty easy to see the red light at the cable end. 

Could you explain your cabling at the other end of the optical cable? How are you splitting the optical connection? Or does the headphone base provide an analog out that you use to feed the speakers? I'm trying to understand where the potential failure points might be in the circuit.

Dan

0 Kudos
Barli601
Reel Rookie

The optical cable goes from the Roku to a digital/analog converter.  The output is a dual wire , one going to the analog headset and the other to the amplifier for the speakers.  The last audio cutout was a little different.  The sound just stutters.  It doesn't cut out, but just stutters.  I unplugged the optical cable at the Roku, the red light was on, replugged and the sound came back on clear.  The next time I unplugged the optical cable at the converter.  Red light was on in the cable.  Plug it back in and the audio came back on clear.  Do you think it's the cable.  

Thanks

0 Kudos
atc98092

It's either the cable or the d/a converter. Just doesn't fit a failure of the Roku. Usually if an optical connection fails, it fails completely. Unplugging and plugging in rarely resolves an optical issue with the device. 

Dan

0 Kudos