Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madmac
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra Powers on With Black Screen Then Reboots

I have a Roku Ultra, Model 4800X, Software 10.5.0, Build 4208-Q

When I first turn it on for the day, I get a message on the TV screen that says "The Roku device is powered on, but showing black screen". Then within 20 seconds or so, the unit reboots to the bouncing letters and works normally. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra Powers on With Black Screen Then Reboots

Hi @madmac

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the newest Roku OS 10.5 has added a new Power item in Settings > System menu for some Roku models. If you have this Power item, under Auto power savings, see if the issue persists after 20 minutes of no interaction fixes the problem.

Keep us updated!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@RokuKariza-D wrote:

Hi @madmac

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the newest Roku OS 10.5 has added a new Power item in Settings > System menu for some Roku models. If you have this Power item, under Auto power savings, see if the issue persists after 20 minutes of no interaction fixes the problem.

Keep us updated!

All the best,
Kariza

I believe Kariza meant to say "If you have this Power item, under Auto power savings, see if the issue persists after DISABLING After 20 minutes of no interaction."

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
madmac
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply’s.
Yes, I unchecked that box a bit ago and I’m pretty sure that will fix the issue because the Roku will always be on, if I understand the wording next to the setting. 
The weird thing is I have another Ultra unit in the house, that has that box checked so that the unit will shut off after 20 minutes and I’ve never had an issue with that unit. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@madmac, you could try swapping the units to see if the problem follows the unit or the TV it's connected to.  My theory is that some TVs handle the HDMI handshaking that occurs when the Roku comes out of power saving better than others.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos