Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZooKeeper4
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra LT and HDHomeRun - No audio on ATSC 1.0 or 3.0

There is no audio using the Roku Ultra LT on HDHomeRun on ATSC 1.0 or 3.0.  I've tried all the fixes:  reset, audio settings, reboot, unplug, HDMI, etc.  It does not seem like this model will ever support ATSC 3.0.  There is no passthrough option either.  I plan on returning both units unless I can find a fix.

Although I was really happy with the Roku Ultra LT, this is a deal breaker.  After browsing through the boards, it appears even the Ultra (not LT) also has audio issues.

A Firestick 4K does have audio for both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0, and it is in the same price range.

11 REPLIES 11
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra LT and HDHomeRun - No audio on ATSC 1.0 or 3.0

Make sure you don't have any of the "Volume modes" enabled (Night, Leveling).  Beyond that you might just want to save yourself the hassle of dealing with it since it seems neither Roku or Silicon Dust for that matter cares whether HDHomeRun works on Roku devices.  I can tell you audio works fine for me on ATSC 1.0 broadcasts on every model I've tried it on.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
ZooKeeper4
Channel Surfer

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't have "leveling" or "night" on.  Instead it's "off".

I should be at least be able to get the ATSC 1.0 to work.

It's my understanding HDHomeRun processes the sound in the cloud, so that it does work with more devices.  The issue may be that Roku limits the app to certain specifications which limits what HDHomeRun can do? 

This Roku Ultra LT purchased at Black Friday price of only $30 packs a lot of punch with its REPLACEABLE BATTERY remote (why rechargbeable on the Ultra (not LT)when someone can opt to buy rechargeable batteries?--that is THE reason I did NOT buy that and now I can't since the sale price is no long valid), voice remote, direct connect headphones through bluetooth (no app or remote needed), easy to navigate uncluttered interface, ethernet port, etc.  I mean Apple doesn't include ethernet except on their highest priced new model.

Is there any way this might work later when I do replace the TVs?  I was hoping not to do that until they actually broke.

A paid licensed codec should have never been used for "free" TV broadcast.  It increases the price of equipment needed, requires some equipment to be replaced, etc.  I realize that is not Roku's fault, but I'd be willing to have paid more if it requires different hardware or for a reasonably priced software update to the model I have if that's an option.  Can this be fixed through software?  Somehow HDHomeRun has addressed this through their app for more compatibility because you still cannot watch these channels through the free alternatives (plex-has paid option too), Jellyfin, etc.) due to this codec.

0 Kudos
KD4MNI
Binge Watcher

I'm having the same problem with a Roku Ultra and a 36" Samsung HDTV (LN32B640R3F). The audio had been working but has stopped, I suspect the newly-released HDHomeRun Roku app could be to blame?? We updated the Samsung HDTV firmware and the audio worked for a while, but is out again. This is a strange and very frustrating problem.

drbky124

Same problem with my roku ultra LT. Got mine at walmart  blackfriday sale also.. Sound works on everything except hdhomerun.

aquinob

Just installed a new HD flex 4k yesterday and no audio on either of 2 ROKU sticks.  Tried all the recommended settings but still no audio.  Submitted a support ticket will see what comes of that.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hello @aquinob

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community. 

Sorry to hear about the issue occurring with your Roku Ultra. We can see that you were in recent contact with our Support team. We would recommend continuing to work with them to resolve the issue you are experiencing as they would be best able to assist you moving forward. 

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
swc412

Did you get this issue resolved? What was the solution?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

This thread is rather old, but I will say that the HDHR works just fine on my Ultra 4800. This of course isn't the same model as the Ultra LT (there are two different versions of Ultra LT, the 4662 and the 4801). 

As a test I went to the den and tried it on my Ultra 4670. On that device I too had no audio, neither the ATSC 1.0 or 3.0 stations. 

This problem is all on Silicon Dust. There's nothing Roku can do to resolve it. I remember shortly after I bought my HDHR Flex 4K Silicon Dust stated publicly they weren't making much of an effort on the Roku platform. I don't know the reason for it, but it might be because only the Ultra 480x models support AC4 audio, which is what ATSC 3.0 uses. It could be that they have simply make their app no longer work for any other model of Roku. But that is a Silicon Dust decision, not Roku. And Roku has no power to make them do anything differently. 

I just read a post on the SD forum, and there is a licensing issue with ATSC 3.0 stations. Some stations are turning on DRM, and they are making it difficult for SD products to view ATSC 3.0 stations that have done so. I wouldn't think that would impact it working on ATSC 1.0 stations, but there's certainly a problem right now. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ZooKeeper4
Channel Surfer

No.  I ended up buying a Roku Ultra when they went on sale this past Thanksgiving.  I have audio now with ATSC 3.0 and 1.0.  Most of the ATSC 3.0 are encrypted now, so I can no longer get those stations until the drm issue is resolved.

0 Kudos