Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kimkfisher
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra Clicking Noise Upon Startup

When starting our Roku Ultra it has a fast clicking noise.  We have had this Ultra for 2 years and this just started.  It is fixed by pulling the power cord and having it reset. Does this mean the player is starting to fail or is there another reason/fix.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Adamal
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra Clicking Noise Upon Startup

This same thing started happening with my Express 4K+ a couple of days ago.

There are several audio pops when starting. My channels are also freezing after a few seconds of play.

This started around 10/28.

0 Kudos
kimkfisher
Channel Surfer

No channels freezing.  Just the noise upon start up.  We have made no other changes to equipment so I am wondering if this means the Roku is starting to fail.

0 Kudos
Adamal
Channel Surfer

Honestly? I think that Roku pushed a bad firmware update.

From what I've been reading, a lot of folks are suddenly having problems.

0 Kudos
OmahaRob
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same issue (rapid clicking on startup). Rebooting the Ultra fixes it. It’s hooked up to my surround amp through HDMI. I’ve had the same setup for nearly a year and it just started. Nearly every startup. 

Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
kimkfisher
Channel Surfer

No long term solution.  Every time we want to use the Roku Ultra we have to unplug it and re-plug it. Ours is also plugged into our Yamaha receiver. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @kimkfisher @OmahaRob 

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

We would recommend performing a factory reset on the affected device and then try linking your existing Roku account once again.

Perform the following steps with your Roku remote or the Roku mobile app.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings
  5. Select Factory reset
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions

For more information, check out this support link: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
kimkfisher
Channel Surfer

I performed a factory reset on our Roku Ultra. This did not fix the issue. We still get the clicking noise and have to pull the power cord out and replug in every time we want to use the Roku Ultra.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @kimkfisher,

Thanks for keeping in touch and We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

If you are still having any issues with your Roku Ultra with clicking noise issue, please provide your Roku device's serial number so we can assist further.

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
kimkfisher
Channel Surfer

S/N: S02A20A31KP6

0 Kudos