Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlife1911
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra 4800X doesn't work with USB 3.0 hard drives Solution??

Jump to solution

I am not sure you would call this a solution because USB 3.0 appears not to be the problem. 

When I could not get my 5TB drive working, I started on working other solutions to my problem.

I tried a Seagate SRD00F1 2TB USB 3.0 drive (MBR/NTFS) and this connected and worked with my 4800x. (Note: Connected via powered USB HUB as not to tax 4800x power supply.

So I checked (Windows Disk Management)  the format of the Seagate (STHP5000400) 5TB USB 3.0 drive and found it was formatted GPT with a EFI partition and a NTFS partion. 

I re-architected the disk (MiniTool) deleting both partitions and creating a single NTFS partion.  Copied a folder of mkv files onto the reformatted drive and the Seagate  (STHP5000400) 5TB USB 3.0 drive worked fine with the 4800X.  It seems the issue was the EFI partion.

Thank you to @RokuDanny-R  and the others of this community for the information which led to my solution.  I now have my 700 DVD videos loaded an ready to travel.

Original Seagate 5TB prop.Original Seagate 5TB prop.Working Seagate 2TB prop.Working Seagate 2TB prop. Working 5TB USB 3.0 driveWorking 5TB USB 3.0 drive

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Highlife1911 

Good feedback and thanks for posting the detailed troubleshooting analysis so that others will see your solution, which may apply in their case too.

Nat2021
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks very much @Highlife1911 I shall give it a try.

Kind regards Nathan.

0 Kudos
RkkMe
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This is just a problem with the 2020 4800X/4800RW. I have a similar Seagate 5TB portable drive that works in both the 2018/2019 Roku Ultras with no reformatting/repartitioning, but not in the 2020 Ultra. The 2020 Ultra (4800RW) is not handling it in the same way as the past models and isn't finding it. I have all three models hooked up to 3 different TVs currently, so can easily test and confirm this is an issue.

ar1978
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So is this getting fixed with the new software update (Roku OS 10.5) that was announced today?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@ar1978 

Roku doesnt announce specific fixes in general, let alone with new OS release announcements.

If it is addressed, you'll find out once when new firmware builds are installed.

0 Kudos
man00

Jump to solution

My older Ultra is acting up and thought about buying a new one but after reading this not sure I want one.

Doesn't look like the USB problem has been addressed yet. Maybe Roku is just waiting for a new device to come out and let everyone know that is the fix...spend your money on this and get the free fix...hahah

0 Kudos
BiLkaMachang
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra 4800X doesn't work with USB 3.0 hard drives

Jump to solution

It's been over one year.

0 Kudos
Highlife1911
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I will note that if you format your big drive without the (un-needed?) EFI partion it works fine.

0 Kudos
Dmule
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra 4800X doesn't work with USB 3.0 hard drives

Jump to solution

I am pleased to inform everyone that with the recent software update, I updated to version 10.5.0 build 4201, on November 20 2021, and this fixed the problem with connecting external hard drives. 

I am able to connect my western digital 4TB Easystore and it recognizes all my content on that drive.