Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerry10
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra 2022 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision - Audio Drops Once an Hour

I recently purchased the 2022 Roku Ultra 4K to replace a 2018 Roku Ultra.  The 2022 Roku Ultra 4K is connected to a 43" Samsung Class 6 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV which was purchased in December 2019. The TV was connected to a Vizio SB3630-E6 Soundbar.

After replacing the 2018 Roku Ultra with the 2022 Roku Ultra 4K, I noticed that the audio would drop for about 5 seconds about once an hour.

Thinking the issue might be with the Soundbar, I replaced with a Vizio M21d-H8 Soundbar but the audio problem persisted.  I returned the Vizio Soundbar and purchased a Bose TV Speaker and the audio still dropped.  I checked the Audio settings on my TV and switched it from Dolby Digital to PCM to see if that would fix the problem but it did not.

So I replaced all of my HDMI cables with 4K certified cables.  Audio still dropped.

Tried switching the internet connection on the Roku Ultra 4K from ethernet to Wi-Fi.  Audio still dropped.

I switched the TV input from the Roku Ultra 4K to my outdoor TV antenna and had no issues with the Audio.  So I came to the conclusion that the issue has to be with this new Roku Ultra 4K.  I no longer have the 2018 Roku Ultra so am not able to switch back to it to prove that the issue is with the new Roku.

After some research I found that the Auto Leveling feature, which I had turned on when I setup the Roku Ultra 4K, maybe the cause of the audio issue.  So I turned Audio Leveling off.  The Audio issue seemed to go away but last night, 2 days after turning the leveling off, the audio started dropping again.

This issue occurs with the following Apps:  YouTube, Paramount+, Hulu, Disney+, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

I restarted the Roku Ultra 4K this morning and the problem appears to have gone away - for now.  But I am expecting it to return anytime soon.

Is there a known issue with the 2022 Roku Ultra 4K?  My model is the 4802X.  Software version is 11.0.0, build 4193-C2.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue other than restarting the device?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra 2022 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision - Audio Drops Once an Hour

Have you tried different HDMI ports to see if that clears it?

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Jerry10
Reel Rookie

Hi.

Yes.  my TV has 4 HDMI ports.  the Bose TV Speaker is plugged into port 4 since that is the one for ARC.  I have had the new Roku plugged into each of the 3 remaining ports and have had the issue connected to all of them.

Jerry

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

You probably bought a defective unit.  If it’s still under warranty, you could probably contact Roku Customer Support here, or wherever you bought the device from.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Jerry10
Reel Rookie

Thanks.  I'll try that.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Jerry10

Make sure you change Settings/Audio/Digital output format = Passthrough, otherwise in default Auto mode all audio is converted/transcoded to the highest Dolby level of the connected device, which causes issues such as latency, missing channels, and audio dropouts (you dont want that).