Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku TV sound/audio drop/cut out/clipping

Brand new Roku TV (TCL 55S525) experiencing sonic playback issues (sound/audio drop/cut out/clipping).  Known for sure to occur (repeatable) while watching content on Netflix (Atmos, DD, & DD+); I do recall it occurring on other content/apps but I used Netflix when zeroing on the problem.  I am running the content on a Vizio surround sound system (SB36512-F6).  After much fiddling, by process of elimination, I've found that turning OFF “System audio control” after turning ON “ARC (HDMI 4)” [Settings → System → Control other devices (CEC)] completely STOPS the issue (not fixes, nor resolves, nor alleviates). The issue occurs even when I turn off the surround system and playback audio through the TV speakers.  Please update the software and FIX the bug.  Not being able to control the audio volume from my TV remote is unacceptable when the feature is available; not being able to watch content without finicky audio is unacceptable when the hardware is capable.

19 REPLIES 19
jimtho
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku TV sound/audio drop/cut out/clipping

I'm getting the same issue. I have a Vizo soundbar and just switched out my 55c807 with a brand new 55R635. Old TV worked great, the new TV audio works fine on its own but with a soundbar the audio cuts out about every 5 minutes for 3 seconds or so. This is on all apps and OTA TV. 

0 Kudos
GPRay
Reel Rookie

I also just purchased 55R635 and I am using a Vizio sound bar as well. I have not experienced any cut out but, though I have tried various configurations of settings, I cannot mute the soundbar through the TV, either through the remote or the Roku TV app. It works fine on the Vizio TV I am upgrading from. Do you have any hints for advice? I plan on contacting TCL support regarding this issue.

0 Kudos
jimtho
Channel Surfer

Can you see the soundbar ok through CEC discovery? I would try other HDMI cables especially the one that came with the soundbar if you can. My wiring is in the wall so I had to use a longer cable. What is the HDMI version set to for the soundbar input in the TV settings?  Try all three options.

If those don't help, try a factory reset of the soundbar.

0 Kudos
GPRay
Reel Rookie

The Vizio sound bar does not support HDMI. I am connecting with Optical. I will try the factory reset but it was pretty much Plug & Play with the Vizio TV.

0 Kudos
jimtho
Channel Surfer

The optical connection is the limitation. You might try a universal remote (with learning functionality would help). Or upgrade the soundbar. 

0 Kudos
brain_hanso
Reel Rookie

I have this problem too and it's driving me crazy. Using the optical port does "solve" the issue, but then I can't get Atmos audio from the TV for anything, which really sucks. Tried every HDMI cable I have, and just purchased some brand new, high quality cables, but the issue still persists when I'm using ARC audio. Same thing after factory resetting both the TV and the Vizio SB36512-F6.

0 Kudos
brain_hanso
Reel Rookie

Ah, looks like turning off CEC also "works." but then there's a TON of audio lag, and, again, no Atmos. So I can't really use any of the Roku apps, I have to toss on my Nvidia Shield TV. (But my older model doesn't support Dolby Vision, so I have to pick and choose, which sucks.)

I'll get on the horn with Vizio and see if the problem is on their end, but some support here from Roku would be great either way.

0 Kudos

I have the same issue with my new 75" R635 and Vizio SB36512-F6.  I just got the TV today and have spent about 5 hours trying to work through this problem.  I have found that the optical cable will provide sound far inferior to Atmos or I can run through my Xbox One with Atmos.  But the Xbox brings a whole different problem.  When using the Xbox the tv will randomly restart.  This mostly happens on a home screen or perhaps when resolutions are changing.

So I can either choose an inferior audio experience or have to wait for the tv to fully reboot every few minutes while on the home screen.  

Starting to think I might return this one

0 Kudos

I have an update.  I just plugged my Roku stick into HDMI 1 and used that instead of the tv's built in Roku and the sound worked fine.  Although I still have to leave "arc" off in settings

0 Kudos