Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bionicjoe
Reel Rookie

Roku Soundbar Must be Restarted Daily

I've had a Roku Soundbar since Christmas and starting after a few weeks we have to restart it daily. 
Usually after starting Netflix for the first time each day Netflix will pause a few seconds into the first show (any show). Sometimes this will happen hours into a movie. The only solution is to restart the device. 

Netflix and Disney+ are the biggest fail points. 

The daily routine is start Netflix. Have a show fail. Restart the Roku.

The device is almost constantly behind on button clicks. Sometimes 5 or more seconds will pass before a button press is registered. 

The device does not have enough memory. Maybe 4 apps are stored at a time. Fifth app will have to be loaded. I cannot add an SD card!? This is just stupid. 

I've done all the standard troubleshooting. New cables, factory reset, re-install apps, check wifi, etc. No change. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Soundbar Must be Restarted Daily

@Bionicjoe

Thanks for the post.

Have you first tried removing any unused channels to see if that helps with your memory issue?

In regards to your channel playback issues, try removing the channels from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channels back once more. Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bionicjoe
Reel Rookie

That's not what I'm talking about, but yes I cleared over 60 channels. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Bionicjoe

Thanks for the post.

Please get back to us regarding removing, restarting the device, and adding the channels back again that you are experiencing playback issues with.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bionicjoe
Reel Rookie

Result:
I can't connect to Netflix any longer. 

When I run the Netflix test it will connect to the first & third servers, but not the second. 
Error NW-2-4

There are no problems with my network or other devices. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping in touch and for following up,@Bionicjoe.

For this specific channel error message, this is a network connectivity issue. 

Check out this link for more info regarding this error message: Netflix Error NW-2-4

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.
We would also suggest checking out some wireless troubleshooting tips to see if it resolves your issue here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku ...

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bionicjoe
Reel Rookie

I have an ad blocking server I run on my network. I disabled it, but still had the problem. 
Could not isolate why server 2 wouldn't connect. Got frustrated and left it. 
After about 12 hours it just started working. 

Something must have been cached somewhere in the router. Roku has been better since. 

Still slow to respond to volume button presses. 

0 Kudos
JaxPaladin
Channel Surfer

mine doesn't have to be restarted daily but weekly.  apparently roku can't contain memory leaks of the apps.  put there **bleep** in a container as to not effect the operating system.  this lack of reliability has me looking for alternatives to roku

0 Kudos