Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChristianZane
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Premiere - screen goes black periodically on every channel I use

I'm aware of that problem, even when I had DirecTV at about 59 minutes and 55 seconds to the hour when a program was ending the screen would go black for that very reason you mentioned, always at the very end of a show just before commercials were starting.

0 Kudos
racer99

Re: Roku Ultra - screen goes black periodically on every channel I use

I have this exact same issue only on some channels not all but only those that go to commercial

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @racer99,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help.

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.
A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: 
1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?
2. Which streaming channels are you experiencing this issue on?
3. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
4. How long has the issue been occurring?
With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos

It is happening to me too all of the time. My roku is only 4 months old. Same issue exactly described. I also uninstalled and reinstalled troubled channels but still can’t watch whatever I was watching. Soooo annoying Roku!!! 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Justagirl61

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? Have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as switching out the HDMI cable to see if that helps? What are the steps to reproduce the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DonCorneo
Reel Rookie

It appears to be caused by Roku switching to low resolution for commercials while watching channels in high resolution. The last 5 seconds of playback goes black while the audio continues to play. 

The solution is to have the playback video pause 5 seconds before the commercial is going to start so the show being watched is not affected. Instead of trying to have uninterrupted video (which is being interrupted anyways), let there be a 5 second blank screen between the video pausing and the commercial starting. 

The temporary workaround is to turn off automatic video resolution. It means some commercials do not appear correctly, but that is far better than missing part of the show you are watching. Occasionally it can affected how a show appears when watching it. 

We know the problem, what triggers it, and the setting directly affected, we just need a fix so that we don't need to use the work around.

Whether it affects every type of Roku available has not been determined. 

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

I can't even use this workaround, as my channels will go black even in the middle of a show, and isn't related to commercials, while the audio still comes through. I'm forced to jump back and forth to another channel, as the picture will immediately show, but then often go right back to black. It usually takes anywhere from three to six back & forths before the video & audio are both playing. Of course, this is extremely annoying and aggravating, as while I'm doing all this channel bouncing, I'm missing the show I wanted to watch! I've never experienced anything like this before, whether with cable or streaming apps, etc, only since I bought a Roku TV....

0 Kudos
rbt1201

I selected , on roku model 3820R2 , themes wall paper screen saver a pop up to select if I wanted to darken screen between selections I select yes and it's dark g flipping through selects but trying to change it and can't fi d that setting selection 

0 Kudos