Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Turbs4spd

Roku Premier suddenly overheating

My Roku Premier has, after working a long time suddenly overheating. There are a lot of posts on this issue. Given the huge competition for Roku I don’t understand why Roku is not addressing this expeditiously. 

How do I resolve this issue? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Turbs4spd

Re: Roku Premier suddenly overheating

PS Roku stock is down 80% in the last year. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Turbs4spd 

I think Roku addressed the issue by releasing new models with different processors and power saving abilities to attempt to address the older overheating issues.

I did apply some new thermal paste on my Premiere+ earlier this year and it did reduce operating temps a bit.  It never got so hot that it triggered the overheating messages though that others have reported.  I just wanted to see if it would make a difference, and it did a bit.  At least with operating temps.  It has never given me a problem with streaming content, so no change there.

You also can't discount the fact that some of the channels (content being viewed) may be straining the devices more than they had in the past putting some extra stress on the components.  When electronics have to work harder, they get hotter. (Very little room in that little box to dissipate heat effectively).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Turbs4spd

Thanks for the thoughtful notes. True that leading edge demands on devices place more stress but this unit isn’t that old. My view….for what it is worth …is that Roku should facilitate an upgrade if unit’s dont scale for very long. Also, given the short-time before seeing obsolescence does not inspire confidence to new offerings. I’m leaning to vote with my feet. Thanks again.

0 Kudos