Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Problemss
Reel Rookie

Roku Player Cutting Off Edge of Picture. Solutions tried, still not fixed.

Hello,

I am having a problem with my Roku player cutting off the edges of videos. It is like the screen is zoomed in. Captions and logos at the edge are cut off.

I have tried things I have found on this forum, but they do not resolve the problem. I have tried the following 

1. Using Auto Detect and manually setting my display (1080p) 

2. Pressing the * button while a video is playing and adjusting the picture. No such option exists. All that is available is "Volume Mode" and "Accessibility." 

3. Adjusting the picture size on my TV itself. It is not the TV settings. I have confirmed this by trying another device on the same input.

4. Restarting the device

What else could be the solution to the problem? 

Model 3810X Roku Streaming Stick+

Software Version 11.0.0. build 4193-50

20 REPLIES 20
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Player Cutting Off Edge of Picture. Solutions tried, still not fixed.

@Problemss
Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more detailed information about the issue you are experiencing? What channel are you experiencing this issue with? What specific content are you trying to view that you see this happen?

In addition, can you provide a screenshot of the issue happening so we can better understand the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ana4

My Roku has the same issue I have the Expres. It it’s and issue with every Chanel including the home screen

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Ana4

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What specific Roku model device are you using? How are you connecting the Roku Express to your TV? Can you please provide a screenshot of the issue so we can better understand the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Problemss
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny,

Imagine what an image would look like on the TV. Now imagine text around the edges. Now imagine if the image was zoomed in and the text was cut off. This is happening on every channel. The Roku is connected directly to the HDMI port on my TV.

I am not able to get a screenshot now, but will try and get one later today. Also, where can I find the information for the specific model of the device I am using?

Thanks,

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Problemss

Thanks for the follow up.

A screenshot would help us better understand the issue you are seeing. You can find the device information in Settings > System > About.

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TennProgressive
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem  My Roku box is called "Latest Roku."  When Danny keeps asking with the same rote message "Can you clarify?  What model do you have?"  NONSENSE!  Give a solution for any frickin' Roku box.  Don't pretend you have to carefully navigate what advice you give as if this is brain surgery.  Roku clips the left and right margins --- probably top and bottom too === on every video display.  I am going to try to change my TV default from 16 x 9 to 4 x 3.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@TennProgressive, if your picture is cutoff it's your TV doing it.  There's no setting within any Roku device that would affect it.  There's no such model as "Latest Roku".  Only 3rd party sellers trying to scam naive buyers use that phrase.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Problemss
Reel Rookie

roku.jpg

As you can see in the photo, the L is cut off of Las Vegas in the upper left and the 9 is cut off on the Jul 29 on the upper right. Again, this is NOT a TV zoom issue. Other devices do not do this.

andyross
Roku Guru

What brand of TV? Are the 'other devices' connected to the same input? If they are on different inputs, what happens if you swap connections around?

I have a Sony TV, and in addition to the regular Zoom options, there is a screen option in the main menu that you need to use to enable zero overscan. It may be labeled FullScreen, JustScan, ScreenFit, or similar.

https://www.howtogeek.com/252193/hdtv-overscan-what-it-is-and-why-you-should-probably-turn-it-off/