Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregMan

Roku Express restarts radomly while watching Netflix

There is no rhyme or reason..... I can watch for 45 minutes then it restarts the roku... then I can't watch for a minute.  Seems isolated to Netflix as I appear to be able to watch Prime for an extended period of time problem free.  I have reset to factory, rebooted, changed my wifi connection and updated software..... I have 3 other Roku devices on the same network that operate problem free..... however they are not the Express model.

Any thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express restarts radomly while watching Netflix

Hi @GregMan

Welcome to Roku Community. 

We'd like to check the possibility that causes the playback issue you are experiencing with your Roku Express. Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

To help troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
GregMan

Hello and thank you for the response......

This particular Roku has its power supplied visa vis the USB cord provided plugged directly into a quality surge suppressor along with the rest of my AV equipment.

Please note this problem only seems to occur when watching Netflix.

Thanks again and cheers,  Greg.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@GregMan

Thanks for the update. 

We understand that the issue is isolated to the Netflix channel. Let's attempt to troubleshoot again the channel and see if it helps. Remove the affected channel and re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System >  System restart.

If you are still unable to play videos from one channel after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Regards,
Nimfa

steraji

I have a variation on this issue.  A few months ago, my Roku began restarting whenever I first try to launch Netflix. 

After the restart, the Roku opens Netflix just fine.  No problems with Roku restarting in the middle of watching a video.

0 Kudos