Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OliverevilO
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Express outputing surround sound when set to stereo? (3930R, Netflix)

@BillieAnnieYeah, I saw somewhere that the mic could be left or turned off. But I gather all of these internet-connected things are vulnerable to hijacking, and I don't like to rely on too many businesses at once and for all time to guard and not indulge temptation to collect and/or share and/or sell my data. But it's a case-by-case, risk-vs-reward choice for me. I just don't much mind the effort of orienting the remote toward the receiver   

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

You’re reading way too much into things. And making this harder than it is. The Roku voice remote control has the option to say commands out loud just like a Google Home or an Alexa does. From about 20 feet away you can say hey Roku play Hulu. And Hulu will start playing. That option can be disabled by a simple switch on the side of the remote. You’re reading some paranoid website about your Roku device listening to you. But it helps to get the facts straight. There is a physical button on the remote that has a microphone but that doesn’t listen until you press it. 

OliverevilO
Binge Watcher

@BillieAnnie wrote:

@OliverevilO  is there a reason why you don’t want a remote with a microphone? Just cousin my has a microphone doesn’t mean you need to push it and use that feature. 

@BillieAnnie P.S. I think you might have just illustrated part of my reason. Did you dictate that  remark about your cousin? I don't want to deal with any more voice-to-text/autocomplete nonsense than I have in my life already

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

The microphone on the remote does not have to be used. It’s there for convenience but it doesn’t mean you have to use it. No one makes you press the microphone on the remote

0 Kudos
Clayc

Same problem but I found how to fix it. If streaming, pause it. Then arrow down and a menu will appear at the bottom of the screen. Arrow over to sound. It pops up another vertically displayed menu. Here is where you can move it from 5.1 English to standard English. Now you will hear voices as normal through your speakers. It’s a pain. I wish there was a way to have to tv not default to 5.1 .  I probably would have passed on this tv. My old tcl did not do those. Hope this helps 

0 Kudos