Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Benm722

Roku Express 4K+ only works when the cord is physically held in place

Seems like an easy shut and close case of a broken cable. The only time the device works is when it is physically held in place. I got the stick around Christmas for my girlfriend so it took about two months to break. Roku on Twitter suggested that I buy a new cable (for a 2 month old device?) and when I asked if it was covered under warranty said that I should try my phone cable.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express 4K+ only works when the cord is physically held in place

@Benm722 

The power supply for a Roku Express 4k+ is a two (2) piece assemply.  It is a USB cable with a micro-usb connector on the device end.  The larger USB connector end (USB-A) connects into a power adapter (5volt, 1amp).

The advice to use a "phone cable" is because the power supply is the same as some cell phone charger cables. Many Androids still use/used the micro-USB connector.

----

Although your Roku should be under warranty (1 year return policy), I think you will find it easier and cheaper to just replace the power cable yourself than returning the device to Roku and waiting for a return if deemed to qualify.  I usually just buy longer power cables anyways.  I had one break off inside the device when my dog stepped on the shorter cable and pulled it off the TV.  I have now replaced the shorter ones with longer ones for the devices that require them. (I usually get them for about $5 at Walgreens or King Soopers (grocery store).

You can also buy a replacement cable from Roku https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-micro-usb-power-adaptor, but you can find longer replacements at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Walgreens, etc.

If you want to try for a Warranty Replacement, https://support.roku.com/article/208757058.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102