Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_Nicky_
Reel Rookie

Re: bad sound

I’m having same issue as well. Very frustrating... I believe a lot of people are having this issue, but I still haven’t heard back from Roku....

truncj
Reel Rookie

Re: ROKU ULTRA Distorted Sound

Same issue here. Samsung Q70 and Roku Ultra 2019. Audio distortion on all apps that is resolved by a restart of the roku. 

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@truncj Thanks for sharing your observation. A few more questions and suggestions here: 

- What streaming channel/service are you watching when this issue occurs? What is an example content title to try and take a closer look?

- Does this occur on more than one streaming channel/service? If so, please describe.

- During playback of content inside a streaming channel, press the * key on your remote. A menu will open on the lefthand side of the screen. Look for 'Volume mode'. Is this feature turned on?

- If Volume Mode is turned on, try disabling or turning off this feature. Does that resolve the issue you are experiencing? 

- In Settings>Audio>Audio mode, try selecting 'Auto'. If already set to Auto, try selecting Stereo and see if the same issue occurs. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@Stanley333 @_Nicky_ Thanks for reaching out. Could you please help provide more details about the issue you are hearing? You can see more about what type of information to include when creating a topic here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Welcome-to-the-Roku-Community/How-to-Create-a-Help-or-Support-Topic-in...

Please include things like: 

- Model of Roku device you are using

- The name of the streaming channel(s) that you are experiencing an issue with 

- The name of an example content title in that channel to test with 

- The steps you take in order to produce the issue you are encountering 

- Any troubleshooting steps you've tried so far

- Your current device settings for Audio in Settings>Audio 

Some additional questions: 

- Press the * key during playback of content inside a channel. Look for 'Volume Mode' - Is this feature enabled? Does turning this feature off resolve the issue, or does it continue to occur? 

- When did you first start observing this issue? 

- Are you using an A/V receiver with your home setup, or is your device simply connected to your TV? 

With more information, we can continue assisting you further. 

Thanks! 

Tanner

0 Kudos

Have same people.It started when I was forced to upgrade Roku.

Lemonjello
Reel Rookie

EDIT: I think I tracked it down to the HDMI cables!! I purchased 2 cables, 25ft and 30ft. I had problems with both. I rearranged my system to use a short cable and there have been no distortions. I understand the brief pauses might be caused by a handshake during HDMI connect, but I don't know why the sound would be stuttering. 

Symptoms: Crackling, popping sounds. Sound drops every 5-10 seconds for 1 sec. 

- Model of Roku device you are using

Roku Streaming Stick

- The name of the streaming channel(s) that you are experiencing an issue with 

All channels (e.g. Netflix)

- The name of an example content title in that channel to test with 

All shows (e.g. Bojack Horseman)

- The steps you take in order to produce the issue you are encountering 

Start watching show

- Any troubleshooting steps you've tried so far

Change audio settings, restart device, reset device, change HDMI ports, move device to get better WIFI reception. 

Stereo 

Some additional questions: 

- Press the * key during playback of content inside a channel. Look for 'Volume Mode' - Is this feature enabled? Does turning this feature off resolve the issue, or does it continue to occur? 

It is "off"

- When did you first start observing this issue? 

A few months ago. 

- Are you using an A/V receiver with your home setup, or is your device simply connected to your TV? 

Roku Streaming Stick -> HDMI Wireless Transmitter -> audio out HDMI cable -> Vizio soundbar 

The video works fine. My cable box is also plugged into the transmitter, sound is perfect. 

0 Kudos
babygap

Re: Roku Distorted Sound During Playback - Restart Helps Temporarily

Yes, I'm having this same problem.  Seems to have started about a month or so ago.  I have to go into the Roku system menu to restart the system, then it's fine again.  It happens so often though, it's irritating and a nuisance.  Maybe 2 -3 times per week. I paid a lot of money for a good  Roku.  This should not be happening.  I believe it's a software/firmware issue on Roku's end. 

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@Lemonjello If you connect your Roku Streaming Stick directly to your TV or Soundbar, does audio work as expected? 

@babygap Thanks for the note here. A few more questions to help better understand what you are experiencing: 

- The specific model of Roku device you are using (Settings>System>About) (e.g. Roku Streaming Stick 3800)

- The name of the streaming channel(s) that you are experiencing this issue in. 

- The name of an example content title in that channel, to test with. 

- What are the steps you take in order to produce the issue you are encountering? 

- Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then, go to Settings>System>System restart and restart your device. Once it loads up again, add the streaming channel back once more and try playing content again. Does the same issue continue to occur?

With more information, we can continue assisting from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Lemonjello
Reel Rookie

I think the problem occurs due to a Wifi signal issue. I've raised my Roku 3 feet and it works so far. The Roku has always reported the signal as "Good", whether 2GHz or 5GHz band. 

If the signal to the Roku is weak, would you expect the sound to crackle and pause, but the video is fine? 

0 Kudos
BV13

I have the same issue with my roku ultra.  New as of January.  Sound works fine for somewhere between a half hour to 2 hours then becomes garbled.  Is only resolved with a system restart.  It’s really frustrating.  My set up is roku hdmi into toshiba tv.  Digital audio out from TV into Vizio sound bar.  I’ve never had any issues with any other audio source.  Also had the same issue while running hdmi straight into the tv.  I’ve tried all the solutions that have been suggested throughout this dialogue.  

0 Kudos