Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adam100

Re: Recordings freezing up when trying to fast forward through commercials

Jump to solution

I figured it out, but I’m not sure if my reply to the original post will reach everyone else. Please ensure the rest of the customers here access my post. I’ll add it here again…

I figured it out! I had the same problem with all streaming apps and even airplay/casting videos was freezing whenever I would rewind and/or fast forward. I have a Roku Express 4K+ and this starting happening after the most recent update as someone previously mentioned: Software Version 11.5.0 • build 4235-CR. Here’s how I solved the video playback freezing problem step by step:

Go to settings.

Go to system.

Go to advanced system settings.

Go to Network connection reset.

Reset connection.

This will erase both wired and/or wireless network settings, simply put, it will disconnect your Roku device from your wifi/internet router.

After you “reset connection,” your Roku device will automatically restart.

When your Roku device automatically turns back on, re-enter your wifi/internet information into the Roku device; this is your router network name and password. If you don’t know your network name and password, it should be labeled somewhere on your wifi/internet router.

If you don’t know how to re-enter your wifi/internet information into the Roku device, here’s the steps:

Go to settings.

Go to network.

Go to set up connection.

Your Roku device will walk you through the rest.

Problem solved! I won’t check back onto this thread so I made sure to fully explain the solution lol.

usnavyrp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I did this, appears to have solved the problem!! Thank you!!

0 Kudos
skinsfan99

Jump to solution

I have been using Roku for a year on 2 TV's without issue.  Suddenly last week this issue started.  It doesn't matter what streaming service I'm watching, HBO, AMC+, HULU, Disney +, they all do it.  Seems to be a bad update by Roku sometime late October.   With the number of people reporting this problem maybe you should look internal instead of wasting people's time getting useless information.   Like most customer service departments lately its never their services fault.  Fix the problem.  Not that hard to duplicate.  Don't be like Cox and Xfinity. 

antelopite

Jump to solution

I tried your suggested fix several times, to no avail. My recently installed Roku device now sucks very much, not usable for replay of any video on YouTubeTV, especially sports (or any video, really). I run FOUR Roku devices every day. First time in years of Roku usage that such a FAILURE has ruined our TV enjoyment. 

ALSO, when deleting a single app like YTTV from a single Roku device (to reload as a troubleshooting effort), why does it remove YTTV app from ALL Roku devices on my network??

Model: 3941X Roku Express 4K+ 

Serial: X016000A VPV0

Software ver: 11.5.0 build 4235-CR

Device ID: S07P222AVP0

0 Kudos
Bob1943

Jump to solution

I've the same problem on a Roku Express 4K+ with the same build.   This occurs while using YouTubeTV, and regular YouTube's menu display blanks the screen for 1-2 seconds when trying to select a video.   I also have a Tablo OTA recorder which totally goes nuts when I try to use it.  

THEN -

2 days later all the problems went away!   Everything worked great!   I checked and there were no updates to my software.   All the related problems went away.

THEN -

A couple days everything went out the window again.   Re-booting didn't help.   My Roku is powered off the TV, so it is re-booted fresh every time I re-start the TV.

0 Kudos
Bob1943

Jump to solution

I just noticed and followed the instructions from Adam100 and they worked!!   

Thank you Adam!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

We are having the same issue with out Roku Express 4K+. It happens with programs that we have recorded in our library. When we fast forward through commercials, you can see the the thumbnail to determine where to start viewing again but when you hit the play button  the video frrezes and the sound picks up at the desired spot. If you don’t fast forward or back up, there is no issue. The problem started in the last two weeks and might be tied to the last software update. I also have a 3920X Roku Premier for our second television. It has no fast forward issues and, when I swapped the two units and used it on our main TV, I had no fast forward issues using the Roku Premier on either TV. I noticed that the wifi signal strength on the Premier was “Excellen” and on the 4000+ it was “Good” but assume that the reading just indicates that the capacity of the 4000+ is greater.

0 Kudos
ralioc

Jump to solution

The statement in the beginning about being solved by removing the network and re-adding it is a lie. That statement is misleading and has nothing to do with the issue on this thread.

The issue in this thread has to do with fast forwarding or rewinding part of a video on most (if not all) apps and it freezes with every service I've used.  The only workaround for this is to exit out of the video, then click resume if the app has the capability, and it will resume where you left off in my experience.  This is a more recent issue as it's happening on ALL FOUR of my Roku devices.  They are all new devices as of 2021 and 2022.  Three of them are the most expensive ones, and the other is the step down but is still a 4k streaming device.  Two are hard wired to the network and the other two are set up through wi-fi.  The problem listed here has NOTHING to do with the network connection to the router.  I've noticed the issue happening around a few weeks ago after some recent software updates to the devices.

All four of these Roku devices were purchased at four different locations at four separate times across the last 18 months, so you can rule out the idea that it's a bad batch of hardware devices.  The only possible way this could happen is from recent software shipped on the new devices or software updates automatically applied.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@antelopite

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Chicagoswank
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My wife found one solution.  If we try to fast forward freezes up as described above, she powered off the tv (not Roku) and powered back on.  Boom —. Unfrozen and video is back to normal.  Is this HDCP related?  

0 Kudos