Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usnavyrp
Channel Surfer

Re: Recordings freezing up when trying to fast forward through commercials

Jump to solution

I tried that, didn’t help. Very next time I tried to FF same freeze. I’ve uninstalled the app multiple times, reset, etc. I think Roku just sucks.

josuchmi
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That is exactly when my same issue started right after the upgrade in late Oct 2022. Worked fine until then, now when fast forwarding thru commercials, on recorded shows, especially on youtube tv, which is really all I record from. I get the same issue, screen locks on that image but the sound and closed captions continue. I have to get completely out and restart the show (which now I cant fast forward to where I was). As long as I dont use fast forward, the show plays fine.

I have done all the steps indicated above and on other forums, none of them help. Both my roku's are doing this.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users, 

Thanks for the posts.

If you haven't already, can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This started happening to me as well in October 2022. 

Audio continues to work but screen freezes after fast-forwarding. YouTube tv Netflix and sometimes YouTube are the 3 I use.

Model 3941RW RXPRESS 4K+

SERIAL X01600X28ATH

SOFTWARE 11.5.0 BUILD 4235-CR

Device ID s0ah21628ath

ID TH-442-172

mrzimme

Jump to solution

Having the same issue with YouTube TV and Paramont plus. Doesn’t matter fast forward or rewind and it can be middle of the show not necessarily commercials.

Serial # X01600FFVY6P

software 11.5.0 build 4235-cr

device Id SOAH21AFVY6P

tracker id when I hit the home button five times and the back button five times it just goes to home screen no tracker ID

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Htimsabbub23 @mrzimme

Thanks for the posts and providing us with your device information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Steinajax1

Jump to solution

Same problem here on my new 4k stick and older Roku models. Definitely a software update caused issue.

Freezes the Roku rewinding, fast forwarding, skipping ads in YouTube, and even navigating the menus. Rebooting temporarily fixes. It usually recovers on its own after a few minutes, but very annoying. 

Huntlesley

Jump to solution

EDIT:  This just began happening the week of Oct. 31 or so! I just purchased a new Roku two weeks ago. This is obviously a problem with the Roku software. There’s no way each person will have to send in their specific device information to have it fixed. This is clearly a software issue and there needs to be a fix immediately that is sent out to the devices. I am disappointed with the response that I am seeing online from Roku.  Mine is happening with multiple apps on my ROKU.  May return device and go a different route. I’ve had rokus for years and have never had this problem.  The Response I’m seeing sounds like Roku doesn’t believe people.  This should have been fixed already.

josuchmi
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Apparently my email replies aren't posting here, I took pics of the info requested but can't post them. I'll have to post that info tomorrow on my computer 

0 Kudos
Adam100

Jump to solution

I figured it out! I had the same problem with all streaming apps and even airplay/casting videos was freezing whenever I would rewind and/or fast forward. I have a Roku Express 4K+ and this starting happening after the most recent update as someone previously mentioned: Software Version 11.5.0 • build 4235-CR. Here’s how I solved the video playback freezing problem step by step:

Go to settings.

Go to system.

Go to advanced system settings.

Go to Network connection reset.

Reset connection.

This will erase both wired and/or wireless network settings; simply put, it will disconnect your Roku device from your wifi/internet router.

After you “reset connection,” your Roku device will automatically restart.

When your Roku device automatically turns back on, re-enter your wifi/internet information into the Roku device; this is your router network name and password. If you don’t know your network name and password, it should be labeled somewhere on your wifi/internet router.

If you don’t know how to re-enter your wifi/internet information into the Roku device, here’s the steps:

Go to settings.

Go to network.

Go to set up connection.

Your Roku device will walk you through the rest.

Problem solved! I won’t check back onto this thread so I made sure to fully explain the solution lol.

0 Kudos