Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yoheadden
Channel Surfer

Recordings freezing up when trying to fast forward through commercials

Jump to solution

Please help, 

we are having trouble during the playback of recordings. When fast forwarding through the commercials, the screen will freeze up, but we can still hear what I’d playing. The captions also continue to show the current screen. 
we have 2 Roku Ultra devices. It is happening on the one that is hard wired. The device on WIFI works with no problems. We tried all the updates, restarts, etc, etc. sometimes they work for the night, but the problem usually comes back the next day. 
This happens on recordings from different apps Friendly, Hallmark, ROKU local channels, etc. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adam100

Re: Recordings freezing up when trying to fast forward through commercials

Jump to solution

I figured it out, but I’m not sure if my reply to the original post will reach everyone else. Please ensure the rest of the customers here access my post. I’ll add it here again…

I figured it out! I had the same problem with all streaming apps and even airplay/casting videos was freezing whenever I would rewind and/or fast forward. I have a Roku Express 4K+ and this starting happening after the most recent update as someone previously mentioned: Software Version 11.5.0 • build 4235-CR. Here’s how I solved the video playback freezing problem step by step:

Go to settings.

Go to system.

Go to advanced system settings.

Go to Network connection reset.

Reset connection.

This will erase both wired and/or wireless network settings, simply put, it will disconnect your Roku device from your wifi/internet router.

After you “reset connection,” your Roku device will automatically restart.

When your Roku device automatically turns back on, re-enter your wifi/internet information into the Roku device; this is your router network name and password. If you don’t know your network name and password, it should be labeled somewhere on your wifi/internet router.

If you don’t know how to re-enter your wifi/internet information into the Roku device, here’s the steps:

Go to settings.

Go to network.

Go to set up connection.

Your Roku device will walk you through the rest.

Problem solved! I won’t check back onto this thread so I made sure to fully explain the solution lol.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Yoheadden

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? How are you recording and playing back the content? In addition, if you do not fast forward through the commercials are experiencing freezing still?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Yoheadden
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We are taping using the guide in either the Friendly or Fubo channels. While watching the recordings, we attempt to FF through the commercials and the screen freezes up. This has happened taping movies and the news on the local channel. 
It has also frozen up during regular playback and not while FF, but not all the time. We have restarted the Roku box, the tv, made sure everything had the latest updates. Sometimes these “fixes” would work for the night, but the problem always came back. Just recently, I made a change in the settings for the frame rate. The tv was fine that night and regular watching has been okay,  but we haven’t recorded anything since then. 

usnavyrp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Mine is freezing CONSTANTLY when fast-forwarding UFC fights on the UFC channel. I restart the device (unplug) and it works for an hour or so but then freezes again. This is totally unacceptable. Why hasn’t Roku responded to the OP?? You asked a clarifying question, poster answers, and you ignore them. 

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @usnavyrp

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Does the issue only occur on the UFC channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel and then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have playback problems with DVR recored programs with the Xfinity Stream app. I have reset everything that one could reset. Xfinity has told me its not their app. Seeing other apps having the same problem makes me believe this is a Roku Ultra problem. I get Xfinity Stream app errors TVAPP-00331 and TVAPP-00306 when fast forwarding. I have also witnessed the problem happening in real time while watching the current recording. The audio and video go out of sync and gets progressively worse until the app throws the errors above.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@neville2022 

Keep in mind that Roku doesn't actually record anything. If you have a recording via a service, the recording is stored on the servers at the service to which the app connects, not within the Roku. If a Roku is playing out of sync, or not at all, it's because it's receiving the content (or not receiving content at all) from the servers.

Xfinity may say it's not their app, but none of the content is stored on Roku, and all of the content, including recordings, is stored at Xfinity. That seems to indicate it is Xfinity that is at fault.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Chicagoswank
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just started happening a week or two ago.  I am experiencing the exact sale thing.  Upon playback of a program say YouTube tv, commercial comes on.  Hit fast forward even once.  Preview on bottom of screen shows Correctly advancing in the program.  But the mainScreen freezes on current picture.  then you hear the audio of the program where you fast forwarded to.  Multiple Roku devices in the house.  One night it will be fine on one night and not the other.  Next day problem on both.  Very intermittent. All are wireless.  When it starts happening one one app it does it on all apps.   YouTube tv, Netflix, HBO etc.  I reboot, unplug, perform wireless tests, reboot internet and wireless etc.  shows usually 30mg bandwidth..  frustrated!  

Chicagoswank
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am of software version 11.5.0 build 4235 installed 10/26/22 that seems like the issues started.  Please let us know what to do! 

Joetinyb

Jump to solution

I have the same problem on one of 2 of my Roku. The one that has issues is the type that is connected with a HDMI cable the other is directly connected to the TV ( with no problems).  I’ve reset removed reinstalled no change. FF and screen freezes but sounds continues. Doesn’t happen all the time but is frustrating when it does.