Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davengenell
Reel Rookie

Re: Random occurrences of Error 020

I totally agree with all that has been stated. My picture freezes and to fix it I need to change channels and then go back. Every time I change channels we get a error code 020. To clear it I just hit the Hulu button on the remote. The appearance of error code 020 seems to be getting worse by the day. I've also noticed that of late when I change channels the new program starts "at the beginning" tho it may be half over. The only way I have found to fix that is to once again change channels and the come back. I am ready to toss Roku. To have a link titled "support" on the Roku website is a joke as there is none.

0 Kudos
Davengenell
Reel Rookie

After reading about the "fixes" attempted I changed my display type from "auto detect" to 720p and have not experienced an error code since where before they were constant and everytime I changed channels. Time will tell.

0 Kudos
Spiritriver
Streaming Star

It sounds like your device behaves a little bit differently than mine, but maybe not that different. We don't get the error for any channel change, only Netflix. Otherwise, it's a very random occurrence. My wife likes using the Roku, because it has a headphone jack, and she's just more used to operating it. However, I also have an Amazon fire cube. Both have Dolby and UHD. There has never been a problem with the Amazon device, even though both devices are using identical 8K HDMI cables. What really surprises me is that we also have a Roku streaming stick, plugged directly into the monitor, and it will sometimes give the same error message, which suggests to me that the problem is in Roku software, rather than the hardware.

I heard somewhere that a slow or intermittent Internet connection can also cause the problem. If that is the cause, it still indicates a deficiency in Roku's functioning. I think Roku is desperate to avoid acknowledging the problem, as if they did, it would mean replacing all of the defective devices, which at this point I believe is in the hundreds of thousands.

0 Kudos
Davengenell
Reel Rookie

Still no problems since changing my system display from auto detect to 720p think I might try 1080 or 4k out of curiosity. This error seems to have started around the last update a couple weeks back.

0 Kudos
Spiritriver
Streaming Star

I can't set mine below 4K UHD.  It automatically sets itself there, even when I turn off autodetect.  If you're stuck with 720p, I hope you didn't pay more than $30.00 for your device.  

0 Kudos
Davengenell
Reel Rookie

I manually set it to 720p and for about 24 hours had no problems but now they're back as bad as ever. Frozen pictures error codes everytime when changing channels. I used to use fire stick and I'm thinking to go back to it.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing an HDCP error with your Roku device, we would first recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: Fix an HDCP error

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide and post the information that I have requested in this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RangerDoc
Channel Surfer

Are you seriously pointing back to the same-old-same-old "troubleshooting" steps that we've already posted a hundred times over that DO NOT resolve this issue?

These Roku players have a serious defect in them and y'all are taking zero responsibility for it.

It's shameful. Literally shameful!

Krjnr

I get this error mesaage everytime i try to watch a show hut only with the roku express. My roku tv works fine. With the express I have to reboot the roku every dawn time and then it works but the next time I turn the TV on I have to do it all again. 

0 Kudos