Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobertReed

ROKU Ultra stopped displaying video on my TV

Yesterday my ROKU Ultra was working fine, connected to HDMI-3 port on my Panasonic HDTV.  Last night I added a new streaming service and it seemed to connect to the ROKU without issue. Today when I powered up the TV and ROKU, I got a message about some sort of HDCP connection problem, suggesting I unplug HDMI cable and power and plug them back in again.  Since doing that, I have not been able to get a signal on my TV from the ROKU.  And I've tried repeating the cable plugging exercise several times, all to no avail. My ROKU Ultra is acting like a brick right now.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RobertReed

Re: ROKU Ultra stopped displaying video on my TV

Could it be just a flaky HDMI cable?  I did a little rerouting, Disconnecting an older DVR and plugging its HDMI cable (and port 2) into the ROKU.  And now I have a signal.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@RobertReed 

It's possible the cable was bad.

But you said one thing that caught my eye.

@RobertReed wrote:

... when I powered up the TV and ROKU ...

What do you mean by "powered up the Roku?" Roku is always on. Are  you cutting power to the device?

If not, some Roku devices have a new Power setting in the menu system that allows a Roku to go to low power mode. It's not off, and the remote power button does not (never has) controlled a Roku device; it's for TV only.

If you have the low power mode capability on your device, turn it off and see if that makes a bit of difference.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Gregm60
Channel Surfer

I had this happen to me after a power blip.   Are you getting the main menu, but when you play anything the video drops out?   If so, go into Display type and select auto detect and let it detect your TV again.   If you are "hard setting" your display to a certain type, set it back to that setting.   It should work now.

I have a Roku 4k and a Roku Ultra.   They both wigged out after a power blip.   The trouble I have is that if I set the display to Auto Detect, moving around apps like YouTube or Sling cause the video to drop out during ads (no signal messages briefly on LG OLED).   If I hard set the setting to 4k, the problem goes away.   Annoying for sure.