Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cplunk
Channel Surfer

ROKU EXPRESS BLINKING THEN TURNS OFF!!

Last night both of my roku express’s were working fine (I have 2 in my house.) I just came downstairs to turn my living room tv on and it says no signal. I’ve tried unplugging it, restarting it, resetting it and still nothing! When I unplug it and plug it back in the white light in front blinks 8 times then the light turns off. I went upstairs and got the one out of my room and tried to put it in living room. And that one does the same thing!!!! Please help!! I’ve tried agent support but it tells me my devices aren’t eligible for device support!! 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU EXPRESS BLINKING THEN TURNS OFF!!

@Cplunk 

Since both devices are behaving similarly at same TV, indicates something at that TV.

Try powering the Roku device from the included wall adapter if you are currently powering from the TV USB power port.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Cplunk
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar USB power port 🤔 it’s in the HDMI port? I’m sorry I’m not very technical with Rokus or TVs 😭😭

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Cplunk 

There should be two cables coming from the Roku device.  One is an HDMI cable (this is the audio and video signal cable) and the other is a USB power cable.

There is a micro USB connection on one end that plugs into the device, and the other end is a USB-A connection that you can either connect directly to your TV (if applicable) for power, or you can connect it to the power adapter and plug directly into a wall outlet.

How are you currently powering your Roku device?

0 Kudos
Cplunk
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar @Okay I understand now!! So sorry! It is connected with usb power port lol!! I’ve tried unplugging both ends (from the roku box and from the charging block thing that plugs into wall) and still nothing!! BOTH boxes will still blink 8 times and then just turns off!! I’m fixing to try and see if it works upstairs on my tv. (It was last night before I went to bed) 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Cplunk 

If it works upstairs, then you may have a bad power adapter.  You can try using another 5volt 1 amp adapter (any cell phone charging adapter should work).

0 Kudos
Cplunk
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar  they work on my tv upstairs!! Just tested it out!! So most likely an error with my tv huh 😭

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Cplunk 

Try replacing the power adapter.

Use either a cell phone charging adapter, or bring the cable and adapter from upstairs to the downstairs and see if it works.

Sounds like you just have a bad power adapter or bad power cable. 

0 Kudos
Cplunk
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar  No I tried both power cables & hdmi cord on both devices!! I switched them about 100 times repeating the troubleshooting process. They both work on tv upstairs. Using the cables that came with box. I just took them down stairs and tried it again & still says no signal when I tried both 😭 I’m over it 😩

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Cplunk 

Two more things to try.

1. Try using another HDMI port on the suspect TV.

2. Take one of the devices to the working TV upstairs.  Set the Display Rate to 720p.  Then place it on the suspect TV and see if it now works.

Settings/Display Type/720p

Do not use Auto Detect.  Manually set it to 720p.  If it now works on the suspect TV, manually set the Display rate again for your preferred rate on that TV.

0 Kudos