Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BBunting
Channel Surfer

ROKU Audio Problem on Panasonic Tv

I have two Panasonic Televisions (Model TH-42PZ77U and TH-50PZ77U).  Each on separate ROKU Ultra devices via HDMI cable.

The audio on both will periodically, drastically change volume, become garbled, go silent.  It happens approximately eight times a day on all channels.  Switching to another channel and then back temporally correct the problem. This has been going on for months.

I have rebooted and check for Roku updates multiple times.  It happens on 2G and 5G WiFi.

Apparently, there is no way to get direct ROKU support.  So, unless there is a solution to this problem, I am switching back to my Firestick devices.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: ROKU Audio Problem on Panasonic Tv

@BBunting

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look into this issue for you.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BBunting
Channel Surfer

Notes:  01/07/2022#1
Volume down ~3db 
Problem occurs on multiple channels
This Channel Instance: IFC 333
Build3030101
Ver3.27
Roku Device: 
Roku Device Model4670RW-Roku Ultra
Serial Number XJ0072979915
Device IDKX9997979915
Software OS/version10.5.0
Build4208-46

Home 5 / Back 5 Sequence 
Issue ID15-008-942
Date2022-01-07
Time05:02:39z
0 Kudos
BBunting
Channel Surfer

Second Occurrence

Notes:  01/07/2022#2
No Audio (Silent) 
This Channel Instance:Nat Geo 276
Build3030101
Ver3.27
Roku Device: 
Roku Device Model4670RW-Roku Ultra
Serial Number XJ0072979915
Device IDKX9997979915
Build4208-46

Home 5 / Back 5 Sequence 
Issue ID15-009-896
Date2022-01-07
Time20:56:08z
0 Kudos
BBunting
Channel Surfer

Notes:  01/08/2022#3 (different Roku)
Audio Garbled and Loud 
This Channel Instance:HLN 204
Build3030101
Ver3.27
Roku Device: 
Roku Device Model4670X-Roku Ultra
Serial Number YJ0040734473
Device IDKW9984734473
Build4208-46

Home 5 / Back 5 Sequence 
Issue ID73-010-459
Date2022-01-08
Time06:19:25z
0 Kudos

Wow! I have the same Panasonic 42" TV with the same 3030101 Ver.3.27 device and I am having the same problems that you are having now. I thought that it was my TV, so I installed my Firestick out of my other TV and didn't have that problem at all so thankfully it's not a problem with my TV.

0 Kudos
BBunting
Channel Surfer

So we have three different systems with the same symptoms using a Roku box. Time for Roku to step up to the plate. I will give them one more week and then I'm pulling out my three Firesticks. I provided them with all the information they requested and no response whatsoever.

0 Kudos
Treppy
Channel Surfer

I am currently in a conversation with Roku support regarding this issue as well. I have a Panasonic TH-42PZ77U that I purchased back in 2008. Before getting the Roku, I would just have a PC connected to one of its two HDMI ports for streaming netflix/hulu. Since i am a field tech for Spectrum, i wanted to play around with Spectrum TV app so I could be knowledgeable on it.. i knew that roku supported it, so that is pretty much why I purchased one. Got the express 4K+

Started noticing that the audio would cut out for maybe 2 seconds every 20 to 30 minutes or so. Pretty annoying, so i always had the closed captioning on. None of my other devices (Spectrum DVR cable box, DVD player and pretty much any laptop PC i have connected to it over the years) have had this issue. The only other TV i have in the house is a Visio that i purchased in 2013. Connected the roku to that, and have never had any issues with the sound cutting out.

So - This leads me to believe that Roku's backwards compatibility with older TV's might be the issue. The HDMI spec was at 1.3 back in 2008. In 2013 it was 2.0

The funny thing is that Roku's tech support said this about my express 4K+

CS/CH-Sooraj Sedhumadhavan, Sep 16, 2022, 11:23 PDT:

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your response. This could happen due to hardware issue with the Roku device. The Roku warranty period is one year from the date of purchase. Upon checking, the device seems to be faulty. I will replace the Roku device.

As per our replacement policy, you will receive an email with the RMA number and the return instructions. When shipping the player, please write the RMA number on the package. Once we receive the defective unit, a replacement will be shipped out and it should reach you in 3 - 5 business days. Please help us with the details below to process a Roku device replacement:

• Telephone number: 
  • Shipping address : 

Thank you for choosing Roku, have a great day!

Regards,
Sooraj
Roku Customer Support

Total bull, because the Express 4K+ worked just fine on my Visio from 2013. I even went as far as to purchase a different roku (Streaming Stick 4K), and it has the same audio 2 second cut out as well when used on the Panasonic. Imagine the kind of blow back I would hear if Spectrum's cable boxes did this with older TV's!!!

This is what I responded back with to there tech support:

I connected the Roku to my Visio TV that was made in 2013, and it doesn't have this issue. Which kind of negates what you just said about the hardware being defective. Since none of my other HDMI devices have zero audio issues on the Panasonic TV that was made in 2008, it sounds to me like the Roku devices are not completely backwards compatible with whatever the HDMI version of the spec was for that TV. I am guessing that it was HDMI 1.3
Why not resolve the issue with a software update? Alot of members in the Roku Community and in some Reddit groups have said that they never had this issue until some software update was done.

Still waiting on a response to my comment. Gonna take the streaming stick back for a refund. i only got it to prove a point. It's too bad, cause a really like the roku interface, its super easy to navigate. Maybe they will do something. I know that buying a new TV will solve my issue, but i just can't justify spending 700+ to make a 30 dollar device behave properly. I am not getting rid of my panasonic plasma until it dies.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Since these are older TVs that Roku might not easily find, I wonder if anyone has tried changing the audio settings.  I believe Rokus usually default to “auto” for audio, but maybe trying something simple like “stereo” would be a worthwhile experiment.

0 Kudos
Treppy
Channel Surfer

Yeah, that was one of the early TS attempts. Didn't work. That tip seems to be circulating a lot on multiple threads and other redit forums. It doesn't solve the issue.

0 Kudos