Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime and Plex kick out after 1-2 minutes every time.

We have a RCA 32" Roku in one bedroom, and a 43" Hisense Roku in another. Both TV's played both Prime and Plex with NO issues until recently. Our 55" LG, 2 **bleep** laptops, and 2 decent Desktops "ALL" play Plex and Prime without any issues. The LG and the 2 desktops are cat6 hardwired to the router, and the laptops are wireless. I even tried Plex and Prime on our phones with no issues. Our internet is a 1GB. fiber optic that runs consistently above 800gb per.sec.

Both Roku TV's sit within 25 ft of our Netgear Nighthawk Dual 2300 router, and both show 4 bars regarding the wireless connection every single time. Have tried the wireless connection on both 2.4G and 5G, with the same issue. Other than our phones, there is never more than two devices running on the internet at any given time. Yet every single time both Plex and Prime will play for 1-2 minutes and then kick out..At times when they kick out we get a message to check connection. We do and it shows we're connected. This problem we have had on occasion, but has been constant since the last update. And surprise, surprise, we also are on the free program!(could it be just a coincidence??.) For the record it matters not the time of day be it 9am., 6pm., or 3am. the issue persists.

I paid for lifetime Plex, I pay for Prime, and I get over 65 channels with our aerial. We really do not need more. By paying for the TV's, we have also paid for Roku which is the operating system. Some examples: Phones running android, computers running Windows, etc.

I have Cold Booted Every piece of electronic gear in our home. Reconfigured the router, checked all updates (installed any I found) and still since Roku's last update nothing solves the issue. Evidence all seems to point to an issue in the programming code for the wireless connections. I believe the only two options left is to contact the TV manufacturers plus both Plex and Prime. If no one can help, then last option is ask for a refund from the manufacturers, then replace both TV's with brands that will play what we want.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Prime and Plex kick out after 1-2 minutes every time.

Hi @Upsetcanuck

Welcome to the Roku Community!
There could be several reasons why Prime and Plex are kicking out after 1-2 minutes on your Roku. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

• Check your internet connection: Make sure that your Roku is connected to a stable internet connection. A poor internet connection can cause streaming apps to crash or stop working.
  • Clear the cache: Clearing the cache can help to resolve issues with streaming apps. To clear the cache, go to the Home screen on your Roku and navigate to the Settings menu. Select System, then System restart, and finally Clear cache.
  • Update the apps: Make sure that both the Prime and Plex apps are up-to-date. To check for updates, go to the Home screen on your Roku and navigate to the Channel Store. Select the app you want to update and choose the Update option.
  • Restart your Roku: Restarting your Roku can sometimes help to resolve issues with streaming apps. To restart your Roku, go to the Home screen and navigate to the Settings menu. Select System, then System restart, and finally Restart.
  • Uninstall and reinstall the apps: If the above steps don't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Prime and Plex apps. To uninstall an app, go to the Home screen on your Roku and navigate to the Channel Store. Select the app you want to uninstall and choose Remove channel.  Then, restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos