Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bsbosun

Polk soundbar compatibility

I'm just getting started with streaming, after 20+ years of satellite TV. Got the 4K+ hooked up and working, but can't get the remote to control our older Polk soundbar. It's connected to our Vizio semi-smart tv thru an optical cable. No HDMI input port on the soundbar. If I use an adapter from HDMI to optical will the remote control the soundbar? I can hook the adapter to an open HDMI-ARC port. Thanks for guidance. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Polk soundbar compatibility

@bsbosun 

I once had a sound bar connected to a Vizio TV (I no longer have either, so I can't check the details) and the volume control on the TV was able to control the sound bar. Again, I don't recall the details, but it was connected via Optical cable. I was able to use the Voice Remote that came with my device to control the TV, which controlled the sound bar. Is a setup like that not possible with your system?

Also, it may be helpful to know which Roku device you have. There is no Roku 4K+, though there are similarly named devices. Roku Express 4K+ is a different device from the Roku Streaming Stick 4K+, and though they do come with different remotes, both are versions of Voice Remotes and should control the TV. Whether or not they'll control the sound bar directly, I don't know.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
bsbosun

Re: Polk soundbar compatibility

It's the Streaming Stick 4K+. I hadn't thought of using the voice function on the remote. The volume buttons control the tv speakers, but not the soundbar. Our DISH remote controls just the soundbar, but can't remember how we set it up. I'll investigate further. Thanks for the info. 

0 Kudos