Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stt111

Plex playback stalls at 33% tv shows only

Jump to solution

plex no longer downloads tv shows via roku on my tv. When I select and play, download/buffer stalls at 33% for all. 

movies download fine.

Have reinstalled both plex and roku on both TVs, same issue persists on both.

Seems to work fine on my iPhone via plex app.

internet via Spectrum, no other connection issues.

Issue is new upon returning home in January after being away month of December.

help please! Thanks 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Plex playback stalls at 33% tv shows only

Jump to solution

I've heard that Plex has been having issues with some of their player apps recently, so it's likely a Plex issue, not Roku. I only use Plex when I travel, and my last trip a month ago it was working fine on my Roku Stick. You might try looking in the Plex forums and see if they have any suggestions there. https://forums.plex.tv/

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I've heard that Plex has been having issues with some of their player apps recently, so it's likely a Plex issue, not Roku. I only use Plex when I travel, and my last trip a month ago it was working fine on my Roku Stick. You might try looking in the Plex forums and see if they have any suggestions there. https://forums.plex.tv/

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
bklynguacho
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

For those affected/interested, the thread at Plex forum is here.

I will say this from my experience with this issue:

1. It occurs with files with video profile=main and bit depth=8 (but not when profile=MAIN 10 and bit depth=10 )
  2. It only occurs on Roku playing from Plex remote, NOT locally
  3. It doesn't occur on any other Plex clients I've seen.  Works fine from Web player, Android Client, iOS client, Google TV.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @bklynguacho

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Does the issue only occur on a PLEX channel or all channels on your Roku device?
2. Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel?
3. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? Have you removed the channel, restart the device then add the channel back? Note: Please make sure to restart your Roku device after removing the channel and before adding the channel back to ensure the process is successful.
4. What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot any channel playback issues: How to resolve a channel playback issue

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
bklynguacho
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

1. Does the issue only occur on a PLEX channel or all channels on your Roku device? ONLY PLEX
2. Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel? NO.  IT JUST STOPS SITTING AT 33% FOR SOME TIME.
3. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? Have you removed the channel, restart the device then add the channel back? Note: Please make sure to restart your Roku device after removing the channel and before adding the channel back to ensure the process is successful.  UPDATED THE PLEX APP.  UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED APP.
4. What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?  TO BE CLEAR, IT'S NOT THE PLEX CHANNEL THAT WON'T LOAD, IT'S VIDEOS WITH CERTAIN CHARACTERISTICS WHEN PLAYED REMOTELY.  SAME VIDEO PLAYS FINE ON OTHER PLEX CLIENTS OR LOCALLY.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the follow-up @bklynguacho

If the issue persists from one channel after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can reach Plex support here: https://www.plex.tv/contact/

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am also experiencing this exact issue and am so glad I found this before losing my mind.

0 Kudos