Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redRock14
Reel Rookie

Playback issue Roku Ultra not making it past 33%

Recently I have been having playback issues on certain shows on my PlexMedia Server.  

The show plays just fine on a Samsung 65" smart TV on the Plex App.  I can select the show, it loads and plays just fine.

I try to load the show on my Roku Ultra 4800X software version is 11.5.0 build 4312-C2 and it won't make it past the 33% mark.  Then, it just displays the episodes list without playing the show.

I have a second Roku Ultra 4640X software version 11.5.0 build 4235-29 and on this one, the show also play just fine.

So, this is not a Plex Media Server issue - it has more to do with the Roku player, yes?  I have read the other post on this forum about Roku and Plex, but that solution did not solve any of the issues I am having.  Again, if this were a PMS issue, then it would fail across all devices.

Would highly appreciate any ideas or suggestions...

7 REPLIES 7
redRock14
Reel Rookie

Re: Playback issue Roku Ultra not making it past 33%

So no takers?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Based on not much, I would guess it's something with the audio track.  I don't use Plex, but from what I've read here it should transcode anything that isn't compatible with Roku devices if you have it set up that way.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
redRock14
Reel Rookie

So doing some further research on this, and trying out things....

Opened the settings in the Plex app on the Roku device and found a setting called "ACC Stutter workaround".  The explanation is:

"This will disable direct play (force a direct stream) for MKV files if the selected audio stream is AAC/HE-AAC to workaround an audio stutter in Roku OS 10".

So, my question:  what is this audio stutter issue on Roku OS 10?  Is this a defect in Roku OS 10?  Is this a known issue?

Asking this question because when I check that option ON, the playback works just perfect.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

There are some people here knowledgeable about Plex and Roku (I am not one of them), but you may get better answers on the Plex forum.

https://forums.plex.tv/c/general

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Everytime I  hit play the item plays 4 minutes then returns to home screen. How do I fix this problem

0 Kudos

Everytime I  play a movie etc after 3 minutes it returns to the home page. What did do to fix this problem 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @ratlifffrancine

Thanks for the post.

Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel and then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Keep us updated!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos