Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jlowry

Playback constantly buffering while having “excellent” connection and good download speed

We purchased a Roku Express (3900 series)   approximately 6 months ago and until recently have been super happy. We have YouTube Tv as a streaming provider. Recently we noticed that the playback is having an issue during the weekends only. It is constantly buffering, pausing, and when it starts again it’s grainy for a good few minutes, plays for les than 2-3 minutes and the back to pausing. We have tested the connection on the roku and on other devices and it comes back as an excellent connection with a good download speed. We have gotten a different tv provider (Hulu live) and it has the same issues. We have tested both providers on the Xbox one we have and they work seamlessly. Why won’t my roku work on the weekends/during sporting events? We are big fans of sports and this is just isn’t cutting it.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Fingerpicker
Channel Surfer

Re: Playback constantly buffering while having “excellent” connection and good download speed

Very similar issue with a 3 month old Roku Premier.  I only get pixelating and buffering with the Youtube TV app. All other apps are great and like above poster it seems to only happen during sporting events, baseball and football.

When I cut the cord I replaced both the router and range extender. Measured at the range extender the router signal is 78-84 and measured at the Roku the range extender signal is 88-93. Roku connection tells me that the signal strength is excellent. I had the internet company here this week to check the line to be sure all was well, and it is. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Youtube TV App and both unplugged and reset the Roku.

The set up works very well and the picture and sound significantly better than what I got from both cable and Satellite..Its just the "bug " with the Youtube TV app..

Any thoughts ideas suggestions are most welcome..  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MTShipp

Re: Playback constantly buffering while having “excellent” connection and good download speed

I have a RSS 3800X and experience the same issues described in this thread.

it starts as buffering on YTTV but does it on other Roku apps too. I turn on stats for nerds in YTTV and it shows fluctuating connection speeds of 1,500-3,500 Kbps and will go up and down above and below that range. My Internet is 400 Mbps down/25 Mbps up.

if I switch to my Apple TV and do the same, then my connections speeds are a minimum of 47,000 Kbps. The YTTV app on my iPad even shows stats of 54,000 Kbps. That is a major difference from the RSS!

i have Eero’s in my house and both the Apple TV and the RSS are on the same Eero.

The RSS is hot to the touch but not too hot I can’t hold it.

My RSS is less than a year old. I bought it Feb 2019. Has it gone bad?

0 Kudos
Fingerpicker
Channel Surfer

Couple of online reports that YTTV has found a buffering problem between their service and Roku. The problem seems to only affect Charter Spectrum users of which I am one.. They are on the trail of a solution 

tigerrox55
Reel Rookie

having same problem with charter

0 Kudos
ss0101

same issue - roku and spectrum 

0 Kudos
tigerrox55
Reel Rookie

fixed mine...........you have to change the router channel to a less congested channel..........I put mine on channel 10 and fixed it..........has buffered  about 3 times for a few seconds in 3 weeks.......hope this helps

Tony

0 Kudos
Grace23

I also had this issue. Swapping out the HDMI cable for a new one worked for me.