Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Picture aspect ratio.

Jump to solution

@GaryFink wrote:

The Roku Express + has analog outputs.

Only the older versions. Model 3910 was the last with analog connections. The latest and current model 3931 is HDMI only.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
JuliusHMarx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, no.

And most of the programming I watch is 4:3 (classic movies and television).

Looks like nothing can be done. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@JuliusHMarx wrote:

Unfortunately, no.

And most of the programming I watch is 4:3 (classic movies and television).

Looks like nothing can be done. 

Thanks.

What adapter did you use anyway?

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@GaryFink wrote:

No, actually 4:3 Letterbox is a wider view than 16:9. You get the widest screen when you get those black bars above and below the screen with the picture filled out to the ends.

That is false. “4:3 Letterbox is a wider view than 16:9.” ABSOLUTELY NOT!

4:3 Letterbox letterboxes 16:9 content to a 4:3 signal.

4:3 Pan and Scan crops 16:9 content to a 4:3 signal if they are not only for 16:9 signals.

If you want proof, please visit the manuals about DVD players, Digital converter boxes, and Blu-ray players online.

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
GaryFink
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I use the Roku Express+. 

0 Kudos
GaryFink
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is not false those manuals are wrong. when I use a digital to an analog converter box for OTA TV with HDMI output and use the settings Letter Box mode and I get a widescreen with the channels that support widescreen with Black bars on the bottom and the top of the screen and while I'm getting the full-screen width uncropped.  I get the same outcome with Spectrum Cable when I set the cable box to letterbox mode. When I don't use letterbox mode the edges are cropped off and the picture is enlarged.  If you're watching something and you don't see those black bars the very likely the picture is cropped and the picture is enlarged. If you don't believe it then check it out and see for yourself. Get a digital to an analog converter box for OTA TV or a Spectrum TV Cable box and set it to letterbox mode and see for yourself.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@GaryFink wrote:

This is not false those manuals are wrong. when I use a digital to an analog converter box for OTA TV with HDMI output and use the settings Letter Box mode and I get a widescreen with the channels that support widescreen with Black bars on the bottom and the top of the screen and while I'm getting the full-screen width uncropped.  I get the same outcome with Spectrum Cable when I set the cable box to letterbox mode. When I don't use letterbox mode the edges are cropped off and the picture is enlarged.  If you're watching something and you don't see those black bars the very likely the picture is cropped and the picture is enlarged. If you don't believe it then check it out and see for yourself. Get a digital to an analog converter box for OTA TV or a Spectrum TV Cable box and set it to letterbox mode and see for yourself.

How nonsensical. You have not provided information that we need to understand, and you are kinda typing like a little kid or something for some reason, which is exactly why I had to report your comment to a Roku moderator. Also, not only are your issues with letterbox and non-letterbox because you are probably using a faulty cable box, you also should not always believe that everyone uses cable service only through Spectrum, which is why some people actually use cable service through other providers (Verizon, AT&T, Comcast/Xfinity, Optimum, etc.).

~Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@GaryFink wrote:

The Roku Express + has analog outputs.

Only the older versions. Model 3910 was the last with analog connections. The latest and current model 3931 is HDMI only.

You are 100% correct. 3910 is the last model to have analog outputs. 3931 only has HDMI.

~Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
smahoney
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello, I'm responding to your post because it's the last one I see and you seem to have it together.  I'm not familiar with how to post without replying.

Anyway, I have a Roku Express 4K + and I 'm viewing with an older Panasonic TV using the HDMI connection.  My TV has the choice of Just, 4:3, Zoom, and Full.  Full has bars at the top and bottom but fills the screen side to side with no distortion when I use the Spectrum box.  I haven't found a way to get a picture without stretching vertically or cutting off part of the picture using the ROKU, are there any settings I can change on the ROKU to fix this?

You can tell I'm an expert by my terminology, yes?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Hi there! "Just" is probably going to be the most appropriate setting to use. If you are seeing black bars, that simply means the content you're watching isn't being sent in an aspect ratio that matches your display. Nothing is wrong, and there's no settings in the Roku that can change anything. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos