Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Philo app no longer plays, false “could not connect” error, 10.5 update bug?

Unable to get Philo app to work for the past couple weeks at least. Get error “Could not connect. Please check your internet connection and restart Philo. Need help? Visit Philo.com/contact. Error code: -60”. Occasionally  can get the Philo guide to show, but when try to play a show, either the wheel spins, tries to load, gets to 13%, then dumps you back to prior screen, else get error code: -6,

Using Roku Streaming Stick + model 3810X, installed Aug 2019, System settings shows strong excellent connection, obviously correct, as can watch movies on the Roku channel, and other apps, example ABC News Live. Have tried several of the suggested fixes: removing the Philo app, restarting the Roku, adding app back; updating the Roku software (currently shows version 10.5.0 build 4208-50), updating the Philo; resetting the network connection; turning “off” the bandwidth saver. None of the fix suggestions worked.

Though Philo isn’t as expensive as others, it’s still a paid subscription. 😞 Need fix please. 

6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Philo app no longer plays, false “could not connect” error, 10.5 update bug?

Have you tried contacting Philo?

https://help.philo.com/requests

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
elwel
Reel Rookie

Re: Philo app no longer plays, false “could not connect” error, 10.5 update bug?

I'm having the same problem for over 2 weeks now. I have two TVs with Roku players on them and I'm getting the very same error code: -60 with Could Not Connect..

I have contacted Philo for help and they(after waiting for 2 days) suggested unplug the modem/wifi router and then resetting Roku and Philo through Roku settings.  And connecting with a different HDMI connector .. if you have more than one.. of which I have more. I did that too. No go. I'm about to switch providers (Philo) to something else if this isn't fixed. It shouldn't be difficult.

So, I'm here at Roku trying to figure out what the error code: -60 means.  I am still paying the lower ammount for Philo since 2019 and I think they just want us to disconnect so that we have to pay the higher price. I don't particularly want all the new channels Philo is offering or DVR recording. I just want my channels I do watch to play. And they just took out another auto payment.... for something I can't watch !

I have a Roku streaming stick 3811X 5G wifi connection and a Roku Express 3900X 2.4G connection.... they both can't go out at the same time.  There are other channels on both Roku devices that won't play also. Lots of channels on the Roku Live Streaming channel... although it says the programs are too old and have been discontinued. !!!  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I would think Philo would have more information about any error codes since error codes can be specific to the channel/app, but if they're just passing on the error code from the Roku "OS" then that error refers to a problem with the SSL certificate.  If that's it then I don't think there's anything you can do other than checking for updates and restarting all your equipment.  If you can connect to an alternate network like your phone's hotspot or a neighbor's Wi-Fi you might want to give that a try just to see what happens.  You wouldn't want to use your phone's hotspot as a solution as you would go through your data in no time at all.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

I’m having the same issue! When Philo does open after 5 Roku reboots, it opens with only 4 channels! Then I have to reboot again, only for the end of every show to be cut short by the last 74 seconds. I can no longer rewind shows, and after 3.5 hours the app crashes with “no playback”. This is ridiculous. Oh, and the “remove channel” option is GONE. I can’t even delete and reinstall. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @PinkTequila

Thanks for the post.

If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription first before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ruger1157
Channel Surfer

for those using Philo

https://status.philo.com/

Philo is having issues and say they should have a update by next week, according to a email i received from there support team.

Regards, Terry

0 Kudos