Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marshalltech81
Binge Watcher

Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box/Roku Ultra 2020 Dolby Vision Issues

I have an LG CX TV connected to a Sonos Arc and a Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box that has a Roku Ultra 2020 connected to its port 4.  In this configuration, Dolby Vision picture cuts in an out.  The picture will periodically go black and flash.  The picture may or may not return.  

When the Roku is directly connected to the LG TV, I have no such issues and SDR, HDR & Dolby Vision content works perfectly fine.  

Lastly according to Philips Hue, the Roku Ultra is not certified as being compatible with the device using Dolby Vision.  There is a Dolby Vision Compatibility setting but it downgrades the image quality.

I have reached out to Philips Hue on the subject to no avail and figured I would reach out here to see if any Roku Ultra users have had the same issue with Dolby Vision and their Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box.

Thanks in advance!

~M

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box/Roku Ultra 2020 Dolby Vision Issues

@marshalltech81

Thanks for the post.

If you are able to connect your Roku device directly to your TV and are not experiencing an issue, it would appear that the issue does not come from the Roku device, but rather stems from your external devices connected to your TV.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Fishface
Streaming Star

brief black screen appears

My Roku Stick Plus is directly connected to the tv and will randomly goes black for 1-2 seconds.  Can anything be done to prevent this?  Restarts have made no difference and it occurs on most channels but seems worse on YouTube TV.

0 Kudos
marshalltech81
Binge Watcher

Re: brief black screen appears

This happens to me when I have the Roku automatically change the refresh rate depending on content being watched.  The setting I don't have off of the top of my head but if you go into settings , system , advanced system settings , advanced display settings and auto adjust display refresh rate.  Turn that off.  

0 Kudos

IDENTICAL setup and problems. I'll also add this: with the Roku connected to the Phillips Sync, I think the Roku likes to send the Sync HDMI-CEC commands because the Sync may occasionally switch inputs to the Roku.

0 Kudos
marshalltech81
Binge Watcher

Through a bunch of trial and error I have discovered that the issue boils down to Dolby Vision compatibility.   If I set my display type to 4k HDR10.  I no longer have these issues.  Using Auto Detect on the Roku would periodically upgrade or downgrade what my TV was capable of doing this making the problem intermittent as apparently I did not watch a lot of Dolby Vision content and the issue was not always apparent.  

0 Kudos
Valerio
Channel Surfer

@Fishface wrote:

My Roku Stick Plus is directly connected to the tv and will randomly goes black for 1-2 seconds.  Can anything be done to prevent this?  Restarts have made no difference and it occurs on most channels but seems worse on YouTube TV.

Hi, out of curiosity have you solved that issue? This problem suddenly started with my setup after 3-4 years of flawless service…

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Valerio

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
pctx
Reel Rookie

This is a result of the roku settings being set to high for the TV.

Go to advanced settings and reset the device to correct any changes you made.

Alternately, if you remember which changes you made, you can go back to it and set it back to default.

The issue is the refresh rate is set to high for the TV to handle or if you set it for the highest resolution on manual instead of automatic. Also, sometimes this happens if you select Dolby vision over the default setting in the Roku settings.

0 Kudos