Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Re: Paramount Plus not showing any HDR for content that should have it.

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F When will this get resolved? Paramount+ is adamant that this is a Roku issue and is directing all customers back to Roku to get this resolved!

0 Kudos
randys
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Almost comical that after four weeks they’re not even acknowledging that they understand that the issue exists in the first place. 

I no longer use my Roku because of it. 

I use the Amazon fire stick now but before this happened I was a dedicated Roku user.  

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F Finally got a call from Ben, a supervisor at Paramount+, who just re-iterated how Roku OS v10.5 broke the 4K HDR playback ability in the Paramount+ app and that we re all waiting for Roku to release v10.6 to "fix the issue." He admitted that he was reading back what his tech team told him to tell me.

I reminded him that:

1. Per Roku, Paramount+ is responsible for maintaining their own "channel" or app on the Roku platform.
  2. I do not have this issue on any of the other streaming services that offer 4K HDR on my Roku devices, such as Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Vudu, Apple TV+, Movies Anywhere, and Prime Video. So either those services had a fix in place prior to the Roku update being installed on my devices, or the new update is not at fault.
  3. Back in November, when I signed up for HBO Max and installed it on my Amazon Firestick, I encountered this same issue right after Amazon pushed a new firmware update. While HBO Max admitted that it was likely that Amazon's update did something to cause the issue, HBO Max had a fix in place within days after I contacted them. So, why are the developers at Paramount+ whining about wanting Roku to fix an issue that is Paramount's responsibility?

He told me that he would relay the issue back to the tech team, the same group of people who sent me the following e-mail with troubleshooting steps they actually believed would resolve the issue:

Dear Todd,

Thank you for contacting Paramount+. First we would like to apologize for the delay in our response. We are sorry you are experiencing this issue and would love to assist.

After reviewing your case and account, we are seeing that your streaming has been restored.

Please refer to the following steps:
1. Ensure you are using the 2.4GHz network as most Roku devices run better on this network.
2. When viewing, click the (*) option button on the Remote and ensure Volume mode is turned off.
3. Also, ensure the bandwidth saver is off by going to settings>>network>>bandwidth saver>>off.
4. If these steps do not work, try changing your resolution settings on the Roku to 720p versus 1080p.
-Setting >> Display type.

If after completing the above steps you are still having issues with streaming, just reply to this email.

Regards,

Shannel

Paramount+ Customer Support Tier 2 Agent

"There is a way out of every box, a solution to every puzzle; it's just a matter of finding it." — Captain Jean-Luc Picard

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F I think we would all appreciate a response/update on this issue, as Paramount+ continues to place all blame on Roku and update 10.5 for this issue.

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Toddwrtr  at least you have enough sense to know that Roku does not make the Paramount+ channel. Some many people keep blaming Roku. Well if you look up the developer of the channel it says who makes it. Lol 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for continuing to share what you're observing.

Our team has continued investigating the issue and is hoping to have a further resolution soon.

Please feel free to send us the required information that would be helpful for our team in further investigating this problem.

Please be aware that we are actively monitoring and investigating the discussions on this thread. Thanks again for your continued patience.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
losincali

Jump to solution

What kind of required information is needed to have the issue fixed. I have a TCL 55S21 Roku TV C172X software version 10.5 that also has the same issue not displaying anything HDR within the Paramount + app. I have no issues with Disney + or Netflix or even while gaming on Xbox but if i watch anything on Paramount that's supposed to be HDR i have no HDR flag.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@losincali  as it says right on the Paramount website they don’t support 4K on Roku OS 10.5. Paramount makes the Paramount+ channel. So it’s an issue on their end it has nothing to do with Roku

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@losincali wrote:

What kind of required information is needed to have the issue fixed. I have a TCL 55S21 Roku TV C172X software version 10.5 that also has the same issue not displaying anything HDR within the Paramount + app. I have no issues with Disney + or Netflix or even while gaming on Xbox but if i watch anything on Paramount that's supposed to be HDR i have no HDR flag.

Unfortunately, we as customers appear to be stuck in the middle of a finger pointing war between Roku and Paramount+. Roku’s position is that Paramount needs to update their app to re-enable the ability to play HDR content. Paramount claims that since this happened when users updated their Roku TVs or devices to OS v10.5, Roku is responsible for fixing the issue. If you browse the Twitter or Facebook feeds for Paramount+ and read posts or comments by customers, you will see that this service seems to have a lot of issues across many different platforms, with Samsung TVs and Roku TVs and devices having the majority of the issues currently. This appears to be a poorly coded app on just about every platform, something Paramount refuses to acknowledge.

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Toddwrtr  I agree with you 100%