Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Re: Paramount Plus not showing any HDR for content that should have it.

Jump to solution

@bohratom wrote:

Seems 4K HDR still not working for ANY 4K Roku devices + TV's  (Did work a month or 2 back) so one issue I am not clear about is if they still play in 4K NO HDR or do the default down to 1080p SDR?

I've tried monitoring my bandwidth to see if the content is 4K or 1080p but still not sure, anyone know?

Thanks

Most streaming services used to allow you to see what actual resolution is being streamed (Netflix still allows this, as far as I know, on older devices like Blu-ray players and gaming consoles, while Vudu allows you to choose the resolution from an onscreen menu). However, this practice seems to have gone away (the workaround for Netflix on Roku devices has disappeared). For most services, the only indication we can get now is whether or not we are getting HDR as part of our stream, and that is only if our display device (TV) shows an HDR or Dolby Vision flag.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Paramount+ Customer Support is completely clueless:

Dear Todd,

Thank you for your response. We appreciate the information you provided.

Your Roku Model is capable of receiving 4k and HDR10/HDR10/Dolby Vision. Can you please test some other shows that are marked as 4k only, or HDR only to see if this issue is occurring for one, or all of the video outputs. Content that is 4K, Dolby Vision and/or HDR10 enabled will be marked with badges on the show page. Note: Some movies will have premium formats, and this information will be included in the description box, so be sure to check it!

As a point of reference, 4Ks offers a resolution that is four times better than the conventional HD TVs.

4K and HDR both improve video quality, but not in the same way. HDR stands for High Dynamic Range, which is different than resolution. It is an enhanced picture quality technology that can display more life-like colors as well as higher brightness and contrast levels while playing HDR-compatible content.

HDR10 is the most common HDR format and is compulsory for Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. Dolby Vision is available on streamed content.

Thank you for your patience, we look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Alina

Paramount+ Customer Support

0 Kudos
randys
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Can I also answer?

HDR does work on all channels that it is available in BUT NOT on Paramount +, but it DID WORK on Paramount + for SEVERAL MONTHS until a few weeks ago  

HDR does work on Paramount+ on Amazon fire stick   

HDR works on Amazon app, HBO app, YouTube app, and more    

Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@randys wrote:

Can I also answer?

HDR does work on all channels that it is available in BUT NOT on Paramount +, but it DID WORK on Paramount + for SEVERAL MONTHS until a few weeks ago  

HDR does work on Paramount+ on Amazon fire stick   

HDR works on Amazon app, HBO app, YouTube app, and more    

Mentioning it here won't do anything, as this is a Paramount+ issue, but Paramount+ is not listening t customers who are complaining about this issue directly to them. My most recent correspondence with Paramount+ referenced this thread as well as the "Paramount + Dolby Atmos, 5.1 Audio and Dolby Vision and HDR video" thread.

randys
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Has Roku or Paramount+ acknowledged yet which entity is responsible?

Remember, P+ does do HDR if you have a fire stick, so I am not so sure which side is the guilty party.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@randys wrote:

Remember, P+ does do HDR if you have a fire stick, so I am not so sure which side is the guilty party.

Not entirely, but I have received the usual "call the other guy" response, to which I balked at.

Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@randys wrote:

P+ has not even acknowledged that this is an issue. Every single person I have spoken with has said that this is the first they have heard of the issue.

Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I spoke with a member of the "tech team" from Paramount+ on the phone (!) on Saturday morning, and he wanted me to run a speed test. I humored him and did so (150Mbps down, 20Mbps up, 19ms ping), and he said he would et back to me. Still waiting. He also said that this was the first he had heard of this issue!! How can that be? I assume everyone on here has a case number with Paramount+? I gave him the link to this thread to prove I am not the only one having this issue.

Maybe we should all post our case numbers, and then when one of us are on the phone with support, we can read them off to prove this has been an ongoing and ignored issue!

I called again this afternoon, only to be told that there were no new notes about my case since the phone call on Saturday! Case #10452202, and has been re-escalated.

Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Paramount Plus may have finally admitted there is an issue:

Dear Todd,

Thank you for your patience while we continue to investigate this issue. We just wanted to let you know that we have not forgotten about your issue. Our team has identified the reason HDR 4k no longer works on Roku, and we are working together with Roku to fix it. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Alina

Paramount+ Customer Support Tier 2 Agent

Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Paramount Plus is now saying that Roku OS v10.5 is the cause of this issue, blocking 4K and HDR playback of content on their service to all Roku devices and TVs.