Solving playback issues

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ROGERCPOST
Level 7

POOR YOUTUBE 720P INTERPOLATION UP TO 1080P TV

MY ROKU IS CONNECTED TO A 1080P TV. I AM NOTICING THAT YOUTUBE VIDEOS THAT ARE 720P LOOK AWFUL, POOR INTERPOLATION UP TO 1080P. YOUTUBE 1080P MATERIAL IS FINE. MY TIVO FOR COMPARISON PLAYS YOUTUBE 720P VIDEOS WITH GREAT QUALITY. WHY DOES THE ROKU DO SUCH A POOR JOB OF PLAYING 720P YOUTUBE VIDEO???

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Mnale
Level 7

Re: POOR YOUTUBE 720P INTERPOLATION UP TO 1080P TV

I have a similar but odd issue. My YouTubeTv is streaming through a Roku Ultra to my 1080p LG TV. The Roku "Display Type" is set Automatic (1080p). I know that various broadcast channels are 720p native (e g. ABC, ESPN, etc)  and the interpolation,  especially on titles, looks bad. But if I "Restart" the Roku and immediately go to a 720p broadcast it looks fine- no issues. However if I then go to a 1080p native broadcast like CBS or NBC and then return to a 720p show, it's messed up again! The Roku only seems to interpolate 720p after a reboot and no 1080p viewing.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: POOR YOUTUBE 720P INTERPOLATION UP TO 1080P TV

Hello @Mnale

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
2. Can you please provide the steps to reproduce the issue you are experiencing? 3. Have you tried using another HDMI cable or with a different HDMI port to see if the issue persists?
4. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? 
5. Have you removed the channel, restart the device the add the channel back? Note: Please make sure to restart your Roku device after removing the channel and before adding the channel back to ensure the process is successful.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot any channel playback issues: How to resolve a channel playback issue

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos