Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rexerm

Overscan / Cutting off edges of picture

Jump to solution

I have a fully-updated 3821X - Streaming Stick 4K+ plugged into an LG C2 4K TV. All Roku apps overscan the picture. This is not a TV setting issue. I have the Emby app installed on both the Roku and my TV's OS. Both have identical picture settings. Here's a test video in the TV's Emby app:

LG-emby.jpg

Here's the same test video at the same timecode in the Roku's Emby app:

roku-emby.jpg

As you can see, all sides are cropped on the Roku, with it being especially bad on the left and right sides. In case you're temped to blame Emby, here's a screenshot from the Roku's Youtube app showing a timer in the upper-left corner being cropped:

roku-youtube.jpg

This issue has been posted about repeatedly, but no solution that has actually worked has ever been offered:

Roku Player Cutting Off Edge of Picture. Solutions tried, still not fixed. 
How to fix Roku zoomed in and cutting screen off? 
Roku Express YouTube app is cutting the edges of some videos

Again, this is not a TV setting issue -- there isn't even a setting on LG C2s to overscan or zoom at all -- and there is no setting on the Roku itself to turn this off. Additionally, I tested an Amazon Fire TV in the same HDMI port and did not have any issues.

Can forum support here submit a ticket to the developers? From my experience and those linked in the above posts, this is clearly a bug that affects multiple models that needs patching.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Overscan / Cutting off edges of picture

Jump to solution

LG C2 TV's do in fact have "overscan" settings:

Settings/Picture/Aspect Ratio/Just Scan

In the default Auto mode, overscanning is enabled, so you want to turn this to On for all inputs.

Since the internal Emby app is internal, there is no "scanning" setting available, so it is equivalent to Just Scan = On, which is why it wasnt "overscanned" relative to the Roku's HDMI port (with Just Scan = Auto).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Overscan / Cutting off edges of picture

Jump to solution

LG C2 TV's do in fact have "overscan" settings:

Settings/Picture/Aspect Ratio/Just Scan

In the default Auto mode, overscanning is enabled, so you want to turn this to On for all inputs.

Since the internal Emby app is internal, there is no "scanning" setting available, so it is equivalent to Just Scan = On, which is why it wasnt "overscanned" relative to the Roku's HDMI port (with Just Scan = Auto).