Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjr123099
Reel Rookie

Opens and Downloads random apps

I've been having a few different issues with my Roku Streaming Stick +. 

1) Roku Streaming Stick will randomly download apps. Whether I just turned it on, or I pressed the home screen button to leave another app. A random app download will occur. Fortunately, I can stop the download, but it's a daily occurrence and is rather frustrating.

2) I will open an app (Crunchyroll for example) and the Roku Stick will instead open an app farther down my home screen, such as Spotify. I can be on the home screen and do absolutely nothing, and it'll attempt to open up Roku TV or Pluto. 

3) Randomly sends me back to the home screen while watching a show (remote not in hand). 

4) My Roku Voice remote will stop working randomly. Most generally taking the batteries out and placing them back in does the trick, but on a few occasions, I've had to fully unplug my Roku stick from not just the TV (TCL brand), but the wall as well, and leave in plugged overnight or through the course of a day, then reinsert the batteries, just to get the remote working. Often times, it'll fully disconnect from the WIFI, making the remote entirely useless, and leaving me unable to use my Roku stick. 

5) Cannot maintain connection to WIFI. Network settings tells me there is no available internet connection while every other device in my house is still connected and functioning.

Restarting my Roku has not made a difference on how frequently this occurs. I didn't have this problem until I switched TV's. I went from my 15+ year old tv to a newer (not sure how new) TCL TV. I've run out of troubleshooting options.

Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  Roku Streaming Stick (3600 series) 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
pjr123099
Reel Rookie

Re: Opens and Downloads random apps

It's been over a week since I made this post, I still haven't gotten any help, and I'm just ready to boycott this brand all together. Throw away the entire device and buy from a company that actually helps their consumers and doesn't sell **bleep** products that are clearly bugged and self-functioning. I'm tired of opening Disney just to turn around and end up on the Pluto TV home-screen. I'm tired of having my shows interrupted so a channel I've never heard of can auto-download. I'm sick of free screensavers with ads that light up your TV so brightly you'd much rather just leave your show on, paused all night because it's darker. 

I've never heard of as many issues with streaming devices as Roku has. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Opens and Downloads random apps

@pjr123099

Thanks for the post.

Judging from your post, it looks like a lot of the issues you are experiencing could possibly be related to your wireless network/connection. Have you already tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that helps? In addition, have you tried changing the wireless channel on your router to see if that helps?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos