Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raina522

Only sound and no picture

I was watching tv yesterday and it was fine. I left it on and came back later to a blank screen I pushed the other remote for the cable thinking it was just asleep but when it came on, I could hear it but there’s no picture! Please help!

Tags (1)
86 REPLIES 86
davidjazz
Roku Guru

Re: Only sound and no picture

Try a simple reboot of your Roku. That often works for this problem. If that doesn't do it, try a reboot of the whole system - modem/router, then Roku.

If that doesn't work, reply with your exact Roku model and Roku OS and we'll take it from there.

We have the same problem. Have rebooted all systems.  Model 292qRW-Roku Express +, Serial number X00400K9A8SK, Software version 11.0.0, build 4193-AE

Please help! Unit is useless and we are paying for a number of streaming services that we cannot watch. 

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @Washing5323

Thanks for the post.

These are the most common reasons you may not see the picture on your TV:

1. You have the wrong input (source) selected on your TV
    • You must select the input (sometimes referred to as source) that matches the one to which you have the Roku player connected.
  2. The video cable is not connected properly or the cable is faulty
    • Check that the video cable is firmly connected to the back of your Roku player and to the HDMI or composite connector on the TV. If you have a Roku Streaming Stick, then make sure it is firmly connected to the HDMI connector on your TV.
    • If you can, check to see if you have a faulty cable by connecting your Roku player with a different cable.
  3. There is a problem with the TV
    • If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different input on the TV to see if the problem is with the connector on the TV.
    • If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different television to see if the problem is with your Roku player or the TV.
  4. If all else fails…
    • Disconnect and reconnect all cables including the power cable.

For more information, you can refer to this Support link: What to do if you cannot see the picture from your Roku® streaming player on your TV

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
uv
Reel Rookie

Re: Only sound and no picture TCL Roku TV

Please help! TCL Roku TV model 9504230 running Roku 9.4 OS will show TCL Roku TV logo on start up, then screen goes dark. Audio still works and can hear is switching inputs with shortcut buttons. Please advise.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @uv,

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for reaching out.

Have you tried to check the steps posted above by @RokuKariza-D to see if that resolves the issue? 

In addition, if you are having an issue with your Roku TV screen going black but can still hear the audio, customers have reported that unplugging your device for 5-10 minutes and then plugging the Roku TV back in resolves the issue.

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
uv
Reel Rookie

Hi Mary, 

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly...we have tried power cycling for up to 10 min. with no luck. Any other advice you could give, or possible diagnosis of problem, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

UV

0 Kudos
Jorn
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same problem. Screen goes black but I have audio. I tried the rebooting, checked connection, still doing it.

I have a 3900x Roku express

@raina522 wrote:

I was watching tv yesterday and it was fine. I left it on and came back later to a blank screen I pushed the other remote for the cable thinking it was just asleep but when it came on, I could hear it but there’s no picture! Please help!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @uv @Jorn,

Thanks for the post.

If you are still having any issues with your Roku device after following these steps, please contact your TV manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturer's contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
in78-8

I was watching tv yesterday and it was fine. I left it on and came back later to a blank screen I pushed the other remote for the cable thinking it was just asleep but when it came on, I could hear it but there’s no picture 

0 Kudos